Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Town 4-0 Carlisle

5 January 2013

Club News

Report: Town 4-0 Carlisle

5 January 2013

TOWN produced another fine performance to beat Carlisle United 4-0 at The County Ground.

Andy Williams’ double was added to by James Collins before Raffaele De Vita rounded off the scoring.

Paolo Di Canio made three changes to the starting line-up, opting to field the side that had finished the 5-0 win over Portsmouth on New Year’s Day. In came Simon Ferry, Gary Roberts and four-goal hero James Collins while Tommy Miller, Raffaele De Vita and Chris Martin all dropped to the bench.

Town dominated the first forty-five and were on the front foot early on as Simon Ferry saw his thunderous half-volley blocked by a defender. Collins then clipped a neat ball across for Roberts but the winger could only steer wide from the tightest of angles. Andy Williams also curled wide. 

It was Williams who broke the deadlock with 16 minutes on the clock. Running onto a throw-in inside the box, the striker flicked the ball back across onto his right foot, looping the ball over the covering defender in the process. As the ball dropped, Williams confidently lashed home on the volley, beating Gillespie at his near post. 

With Town pressing Carlisle back in their own half, the visitors only effort came courtesy of a long-range drive from Matty Robson whose rising effort comfortably cleared the crossbar.

Town added to their tally ten minutes before the break. Matt Ritchie worked a crossing opportunity wide on the right and curled an inch-perfect cross into the six-yard box. Collins arrived at exactly the right moment to head home his fifth goal in just two games. 

Before the break, Gary Roberts also saw his effort blocked by a defender on the line.

With ten minutes gone in the second half, Swindon scored their third of the afternoon. James Collins played a neat ball over his shoulder into the path of Matt Ritchie. The winger played a low ball across the area that found Williams arriving at the far post. The striker steadied himself before thumping home his second of the afternoon. 

Collins and Chris Martin both spurned further opportunities before Town capped their performance with a fourth. Substitute Raffaele De Vita had the simplest of tasks to tap home from a yard out after Gillespie had parried Gary Roberts' shot.

Swindon then went in search of a fifth goal, roared on by a crowd of over 9,000 at The County Ground but Tommy Miller’s shot crashed back off the crossbar and Roberts twice saw efforts drop wide of the target.

Town - 4 (Williams '16 '55, Collins '36, De Vita '80) 

Carlisle - 0 

Swindon Town: Wes Foderingham; Nathan Thompson, Joe Devera, Darren Ward, Alan McCormack (Capt); Matt Ritchie, Danny Hollands, Simon Ferry, Gary Roberts, Andy Williams, James Collins

Substitutes: Leigh Bedwell, Alan Navarro, Tommy Miller, Raffaele De Vita, Chris Martin, Adam Rooney, Aden Flint

Carlisle United: Mark Gillespie, Frank Simek, Matty Robson, Jon-Paul McGovern, Danny Livesey (Capt), Liam Noble, Rory Loy, Lee Miller, Mike Edwards, Brad Potts, James Berrett

Substitutes: Adam Collin, Peter Murphy, Andy Welsh, Mark Beck, Josh Todd, David Symington, Sean McGinty

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account