Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 19/03/2013

19 March 2013

Match Reports

Match Report : 19/03/2013

19 March 2013

Yeovil - 0

Town - 2 (Rooney PEN '77, Collins '90) 

GOALS from Adam Rooney and James Collins secured a vital away win for Swindon in front of the Sky cameras.

Rooney's penalty opened the scoring before Collins wrapped up the points in injury time.

Manager Kevin MacDonald named an un-changed starting line-up with Adam Rooney retaining his place in the side. There were however changes on the bench, with youth team scholars Connor Waldon and Alex Ferguson named amongst the substitutes.


Playing against his former employers, Town striker Andy Williams had the first opportunity of the evening but his snap-shot from the left edge of the area found the grateful arms of Marek Stech.


In a frantic opening period, Joseph Edwards looped a bouncing ball over Foderingham and over the crossbar before Adam Rooney found himself in behind the home defence. His weak connection however, did little to trouble the goalkeeper.


James Hayter missed arguably the hosts’ best chance of the half when he flicked on a cross for himself on the edge of the area. Finding himself beyond the last defender and with the goal gaping, the experienced front-man leathered his volley over the crossbar, doing more damage to the scoreboard over the away end than Foderingham’s goal.


Before the half was up, a deep free-kick dropped at the feet of Darren Ward who saw his scuffed shot deflect inches wide of the upright.


Ten minutes into the second forty-five, Gary Roberts smashed the ball into the back of the net but the whistle of referee Keith Stroud a moment earlier denied him the opening goal of the game.


Nathan Thompson then had to be alert to twice hunt down the lurking Paddy Madden while sandwiched in-between the two opportunities, Adam Rooney forced a neat save from Stech. The Irishman managed to nip across his marker and touch a low cross goalwards before the goalkeeper pawed his effort away.


It was then the turn of substitute James Collins to bring out the best from Yeovil’s stopper. Beating off the challenge of the defender, Collins wrapped his left foot around a shot which was bound for the bottom corner. Stech threw himself down low to his right and got a strong arm on the ball to turn it away.


After a period of pressure and hard work, Town were awarded a penalty with a little over 14 minutes left to play. Gary Roberts chased a long ball forward from Alan McCormack and beat Stech to the ball. The goalkeeper’s momentum took him into the winger, bundling him to the floor and the referee pointed straight to the spot.


Adam Rooney placed the ball on the whitewash and confidently struck it beyond the diving Stech.

Then, with the clock well over the allotted added time, McCormack broke from midfield and played in Collins. The striker advanced on goal and lashed the ball into the net to secure all three points.

Swindon Town: Wes Foderingham; Nathan Thompson, Aden Flint, Darren Ward, Jay McEveley; Simon Ferry, Tommy Miller, Alan McCormack (Capt), Gary Roberts; Andy Williams, Adam Rooney

Subsitutes: Leigh Bedwell, Joe Devera, Luke Rooney, James Collins, Raffaele De Vita, Alex Ferguson, Connor Waldon

Yeovil Town: Marek Stech; Luke Ayling, Jamie McAllister (Capt), Byron Webster, Edward Upson, James Hayter, Gavin Williams, Paddy Madden, Daniel Burn, Joseph Edwards, Kevin Dawson

Substitutes: Dominc Blizzard, Jordan Cook, Gareth Stewart, Vitalijs Maksimenko, Lewis Young, Ben Gordon, Wesleigh Fletcher

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account