Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Town 4 Leicester 3

31 May 2013

Club News

Report: Town 4 Leicester 3

31 May 2013

THERE could have been no better setting for the match to decide who would join football's elite at the start of the 1993/94 season. Wembley with all its tradition, colour and not least a surface on which to play good football.

This was a contest for which sheer drama, football and entertainment outclassed the season's earlier games and did nothing but good for the image of the game.

Swindon's Red and White Army, 35,000 strong travelled up the M4 to urge the Robins to a famous victory. Coaches and mini buses were drafted in from far and wide and were decked out with Red, White and Green.

This was a family day out, the mums and dads, the children and grandparents with flags, scarves, hats, banners and painted faces in a wonderful atmosphere as we waited for the kick-off.

With the game at last underway, Nicky Summerbee got in some early crosses to test Poole in the Leicester goal. Long distance shots from Gary Mills and Steve Thompson provided some goalkeeping practice for Fraser Digby but there was no real threat to either goal in the opening stages.

Nicky Summerbee was booked for a foul and a similar fate befell Leicester's Mike Whitlow but despite lingering memories of previous incidents in the league encounters the teams settled down to play football.

In the 35th minute, Glenn Hoddle flicked on Paul Bodin's corner but as Dave Mitchell was about to strike Richard Smith did well to block the Australian's shot. Steve Walsh turned provider for Leicester with a dream cross but Fraser Digby showing the class which won him under 21 international caps clawed it away from the highly rated Julian Joachim.

Oldfield almost put Leicester ahead in the 41st minute but Fraser Digby produced a superb save at the foot of the post. From his clearance Swindon took the lead.

Ling started the move with an excellent pass to John Moncur, Moncur's pass to Summerbee was spot on and the full back cum winger crossed to Craig Maskell just inside the penalty area. Maskell, back to his early season form, protected the ball before back heeling it to Glenn Hoddle who made ground to meet the ball cleanly and strike it past Poole.

Swindon went in 1-0 to the good but none could have dreamt what was to happen in the second half.

Craig Maskell swapped passes with Moncur to put him in the clear and Swindon's top scorer sent a rasping drive past Poole to make it 2-0 in the 47th minute and calm a few fluttering hearts at the Swindon end.

Nicky Summerbee won a corner in the 54th minute and his kick was only half cleared to John Moncur who headed back into the Leicester area. Shaun Taylor promply ducked down among the flying feet to head past an indecisive Poole to make it 3-0. It seemed Swindon were on their way to the top flight, or were they?

59 minutes gone and Philpott crossed for Walsh to power a header against the post, a let off? Not likely as Julian Joachim reacted first to stroke the ball home. At 3-1 and about half-an-hour left surely Swindon must win!

Ten minutes later, Leicester skipper Gary Mills careered down the right, his cross was too deep but Philpott got it back into the middle. Fraser Digby could have been impeded by Joachim as Steve Walsh struck to make it 3-2.
Barely a minute later the unbelievable happened as Thompson came from nowhere to slot the equaliser past Fraser Digby and Swindon could have been in trouble. To their credit they kept going, Craig Maskell was replaced by Steve White. Television's man of the match Martin Ling got in a good shot to test Poole and from the corner Shaun Taylor had a fearsome header saved.

Five minutes left and a typical Glenn Hoddle pass was floated over the top of the Leicester defence to set Steve White on his way. The substitute looked to be winning the race until he was sandwiched between Poole and defender Colin Hill. Eventually referee David Elleray pointed to the spot.

Paul Bodin scored well from the most important penalty in Swindon Town's history and they were up. Up where they belong. 

Full-time: Swindon Town 4 Leicester City 3

Attendance:  73,802

Match report from ‘Premier Bound’, a souvenir supplement published to celebrate Town’s Wembley success.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account