THE wait is finally over as League Football Education’s (LFE) Goal of the Month competition returns for the new season and it’s better than ever before.
So forget Robin van Persie, Olivier Giroud, Christian Benteke et al and sit back to enjoy goals from the next wave of talented youth players who are all currently featuring in the Under-18 Premier and Youth Alliance Academy Leagues.
Crystal Palace’s Sullay KaiKai was last term’s overall champion after winning the monthly prize at exactly this juncture last year. His slalom through Liverpool’s defence, ending in a right-footed drive to the bottom left corner of the net, proved the most popular choice for voters, something this month’s seven contenders hope to emulate:
• GOAL A: James Ward, Portsmouth v PETERBOROUGH UNITED
• GOAL B: Oliver Watkins, EXETER CITY v Swindon Town
• GOAL C: Kelvin Osei-Addo, MK DONS v Leyton Orient
• GOAL D: Jake Ellam, Birmingham City v SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY
• GOAL E: Otis Khan, Sheffield Wednesday v SHEFFIELD UNITED
• GOAL F: Kelvin Osei-Addo, MK DONS v Southend United
• GOAL G: Josh Cook, SWINDON TOWN v Hereford United
The 2012-13 competition was viewed One-hundred and fifty thousand times via LFE’s YouTube channel, LFETV and chief executive Alan Sykes said: “This competition remains hugely popular with players, clubs and the general public and is a great opportunity to showcase talented young footballers that are currently being produced by Football League clubs across the land.”
To watch and vote for your goal of the month please visit the LFE website at www.lfe.org.uk/goal-of-the-month voting will remain open until 1pm on Friday 20 September.