Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Wolves 3-2 Town

14 September 2013

Club News

Report: Wolves 3-2 Town

14 September 2013

TOWN produced a dominant display at Molineux but lost out by the odd goal in five to Wolverhampton Wanderers.

In an astonishing game, goals from Dany N’Guessan and Ryan Mason could not quite earn the Town a point as they went down by three goals to two.

Manager Mark Cooper made just one change to the starting line-up with Nicky Ajose coming in for the suspended Nathan Byrne. Raphael Branco took the final slot available amongst the substitutes.

Town made the worst start, conceding after just two minutes. Scott Golbourne’s cross from the left flank looped over Foderingham and struck the post before nestling in the back of the net. Despite an early period of pressure, Town spent the rest of the first half on the front foot. Their control was punctuated by a pair of neat saves from Wes Foderingham to deny Leigh Griffiths in an otherwise untroubled first forty-five for the Town stopper.

Swindon were busy harrying their opponents and forcing them into mistakes. Chances also came and went with Pritchard, Mason and Ranger all seeing shots either blocked by a gold shirt or by Carl Ikeme.

However, for all their good work, they were hit with a sucker punch minutes before the break. Griffiths from a position on the left touchline, flighted a ball over to Kevin Doyle who made no mistake with a header from close range.

The second half began with Town missing further chances. Mason twice spurned chances from inside the box, dragging wide with the first before striking the post with the other. 

Nathan Thompson was also denied by the impressive Ikeme who dived to hold his header on the line.

With just under ten minutes to play, substitute Dany N’Guessan pulled one back for the Town. Luongo’s delicate chip over the top allowed the striker to get in front of his man before leathering the ball into the net.

With their tails now up, Swindon went in search of an equaliser. Pritchard forced another fine save out of Ikeme after taking a volley over his shoulder. 

As the game crept into stoppage time, Wolves looked to have sealed the win when Bjorn Sigurdason crossed for fellow substitute Kevin Foley to notch the home side’s third.

Astonishingly, within a minute, Ryan Mason had Town back in with a shout. Pritchard’s touch was the prelude for an almighty swing of his boot to send the ball rocketing beyond Ikeme from full 30 yards out. 

As the nerves began to jangle around Molineux, even the referee hobbled off after injuring himself in the final moments. 

Swindon Town - Wes Foderingham, Nathan Thompson, Grant Hall, Darren Ward (C), Jay McEveley; Yaser Kasim, Massimo Luongo, Ryan Mason; Nicky Ajose, Nile Ranger, Alex Pritchard 

Subs: Tyrell Belford, Ryan Harley, Dany N'Guessan, Louis Thompson, Miles Storey, Jack Barthram, Raphael Branco

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account