Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: STLFC 5-1 St. Nicholas

26 August 2014

THE Town Ladies cruised to a five goals to one victory over newly-promoted St Nicholas in their opening game in the newly formed FA Women’s Premier League Division One (South West), writes Roger Reeves.

The visitors kicked off but it was the Town who came closest to scoring when the visiting 'keeper Jade Gamlin punched clear Beth Thompson’s cross and the ball fell to Sally Butterfield who shot was just wide of the goal. Again the Town almost went ahead when Beth Thompson beat the visiting 'keeper to a through ball but her shot rebounded off the upright.

The Town were enjoying the better of the play and Jade Gamlin in the Saints goal did well to push Michelle Rich’s 25 yard drive round the post for a corner. As the half progress the Saints got more of the play and Town 'keeper Robyn Levett was called into action saving from Reanne Lewis at the second attempt. Although the Saints were putting the Town under pressure Laura Morgan and Kelly Nightingale held a strong back line. Town’s Robyn Levett was the busier of the two 'keepers and she did well to tip Lauren Ellis’ cross over the bar. The Town were quick on the break and Sarah Uzzell, making her League debut for the Town, ran clear and took advantage of a defensive mix up to slot the ball into the net to give the Town an interval lead. 

Within a minute of the restart the Town doubled their lead when Beth Thompson cut in from the right to beat the advancing 'keeper. Sarah Uzzell brought the Saints 'keeper into action and at the other end Town 'keeper Robyn Levett did well to hold Rebecca Rexworthy's free kick. In the 56th minute the Town scored again. Sally Butterfield headed on Michelle Rich’s free to find Beth Thompson who scored from close range.

The fourth came nine minutes later when Ellie Maynard’s free kick found Michelle Rich whose shot was blocked but the ball fell to Chyna Collings who blasted it into the roof of the net. Ellie Maynard then got on the scoresheet when she blasted home a free kick after Beth Thompson had been fouled. The Town came close to getting a sixth when substitute Megan Attenborough saw her shot rebounded to safety off the post. Deep into added time Jess Wilson pulled a goal back for the Saints.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account