Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Town 0-1 Doncaster

20 December 2014

Sponsored by

SWINDON TOWN lost by one goal to nil against Doncaster Rovers in a match of two penalties, writes Adrian Smith.

Doncaster had taken the lead through Theo Robinson’s 26th minute penalty but Michael Smith’s 80th minute spot kick was saved by the Rovers keeper Sam Johnstone  and the Robins slumped to a disappointing defeat in a match of few clear cut chances.

Mark Cooper retained the same starting line-up as deployed for the previous Town fixture at Notts County and it was the Robins who kicked off playing towards the Stratton Bank.

Town had the majority of possession with the visitors happy to sit back and soak up the pressure as the Robins players probed for a shooting chance which arrived in the 16th minute when Kasim fired over from 20 yards.

Wes Foderingham misjudged a backpass shortly afterwards and conceded a corner when he deflected the ball just wide of goal to the alarm of the County Ground faithful but the resulting cross was cleared  to spare the Town keeper’s blushes.

Doncaster had two corners in the space of a minute which led to a good counterattack by Byrne but his claims for a penalty were turned down. However there was drama straightaway when Doncaster attacked and Furman tumbled under Turnbull’s challenge in the Town penalty area. The referee immediately pointed to the spot and up stepped Theo Robinson to fire a shot to Foderingham’s right hand to open the scoring in the 26th minute.

Kyle Bennett was cautioned shortly after the restart for a foul near the halfway line but Town wasted possession .

James Coppinger drew a fine save by Foderingham when he headed goalwards from close range but the Town stopper pushed the ball over for a corner.

Nathan Thompson made a good stop from a shot by Furman in the 38th minute as he fired towards goal and the ball ran out for a throw in.

Two minutes of added time were played but Town were looking short of ideas up front against the massed Rovers defence and the half time whistle was blown with the visitors on the attack.

The visitors kicked off the second half but lost Kyle Bennett to injury in the 49th minute and he was replaced by Harry Forrester.

Jon Obika came agonisingly close to equalising shortly afterwards when he found space in the penalty area but his shot was deflected against the post and the ball ran to safety.

Town continued to push forward and Byrne went close after tricking his way into the penalty area before shooting wide and further pressure led to a corner in the 54th minute when Williams’s shot was deflected wide but Obika’s header from the cross went just wide.

Richie Wellens was cautioned for his response after a free kick had been awarded for a foul to Swindon but the Robins lost possession quickly from the kick.

Michael Smith replaced Obika in the 62nd minute as Mark Cooper tried to get something from the match.

Ben Gladwin tried his luck in the 65th minute shooting narrowly wide after tricking his way into the penalty area but his shot went wide and a minute later, Williams managed to shoot wide after outpacing the defence.

Dean Furman was shown a yellow card for a very late challenge on Kasim in the 68th minute.

Town were saved by Nathan Thompson after Kasim lost possession easily in midfield and Robinson charged towards goal but the Town captain deflected Robinson’s shot wide.

Swindon were awarded a penalty in the 79th minute when Williams was tugged back in front of goal by Wabara who was shown a yellow card but Michael Smith’s weak penalty was saved by Johnstone in the Rovers goal.

Paul Keegan was replaced by Main for the visitors and Kasim was replaced by Amari’I Bell for Town.

Williams earned a corner for Town in the 84th minute but that was easily cleared by the defence at the expense of a throw in which eventually led to Byrne curling a shot wide.

Town had two corners in the space of a minute late in added time which led to a goalmouth scramble but the home side were unable to force the ball home before the final whistle was blown to end a disappointing match for the Robins who were left to rue the missed penalty.

Advertisement block