Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Port Vale 2-3 Town

8 February 2014

Club News

Report: Port Vale 2-3 Town

8 February 2014

SWINDON produced a stirring second-half comeback to  claim a 3-2 win at Port Vale having been two goals down at the break.

Nile Ranger and Alex Pritchard hauled the visitors level before Nathan Byrne bundled home the winner. 

Mark Cooper made four changes to the starting line-up. Alex Pritchard, Nathan Byrne and Michael Smith were all restored to the side whilst there was also a start for Troy Archibald-Henville alongside Darren Ward in the centre of defence. 

Town made the early running and after a flurry of corner, Pritchard steered Nathan Thompson’s cross wide. Massimo Luongo also registered an effort off target.

With 20 minutes gone and with Swindon on control of proceedings, the home side snatched the lead. Doug Loft popped up inside the 18-yard box to stab the home side in front, converting Myrie-Williams’ low ball in.

Michael Smith and Pritchard both saw their respective efforts go wide of goal before the home side capitalised on Town’s failure to clear their lines by doubling their lead. This time, it was Tom Pope who gleefully accepted the opportunity and netted despite Wes Foderingham’s best effort to keep it out. 

Two goals down at half time, Swindon began their comeback just six minutes after the break. Pritchard’s clipped ball to the back post picked out Nile Ranger who slammed home from close range. With the wind in their sails, Swindon kept pouring forward on the counter: Ranger cracked a shot off the crossbar having been put clean through before Michael Smith struck the upright with a rising drive from the edge of the area. 

Having set up the first goal, Pritchard levelled matters with an exquisitely-taken free-kick. Having been fouled on the left-hand corner of the area, the midfielder picked himself up and curled a delicious free-kick into the top corner. 

Just four minutes later, Swindon completed the comeback with another breakaway goal. The ball was fed through to Smith who, in turn, drilled a low cross towards the arriving Nathan Byrne at the far post. Despite seeing his initial effort kept out, the full-back prodded the ball home on the goal-line to send the away support into raptures. 

As the conditions worsened and the rain and wind picked up, Swindon could have added to their lead but Luongo’s shot was cleared off the line and debutant Jacob Murphy forced Vale ‘keeper Neal into a smart save. 

Swindon Town: Foderingham, Thompson N, Archibald-Henville, Ward (C), Byrne, Luongo, Thompson L, N'Guessan, Pritchard, Smith, Ranger

Subs: Belford, Reckord, Branco, Gladwin, Cox, Reis, Murphy

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account