THE Sam Allen Grave Appeal is now nearly half way to securing the necessary funding for the restoration of Sam Allen’s Grave at Radnor Street Cemetery.
Allen was Swindon Town Football Club's first recognised manager after originally joining the club in 1895 as a member of the club's committee. Two years later, he joined the board of directors, before he took control of the first team in time for the 1902/1903 season.
As well as signing Hall of Famers such as Jock Walker and Harold Fleming, Allen led Swindon during one of the most successful spells in their history. Between 1908 and 1914, Swindon won the Southern League title twice, finished as runners-up three times, and reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup twice, as well as winning the Dubonnet Cup.
He was at the helm when Town joined the Football League in 1920, becoming a founder member of Division Three (South). Under his stewardship, Harry Morris would become the club's record goalscorer and Town would register their record victories - 9-1 vs Luton in their first league match and 10-1 vs Farnham United in the FA Cup in 1925.
In 1933, he stepped down as manager and went on to fulfill the role of secretary, holding the position for for thirteen more years.
In total, he served Swindon Town Football Club for 51 years and received the Football League's long service award in 1941. He died on 1st January 1946.
A number of generous donations have already been made to help the appeal including commercial sponsors and the Swindon Town Supporters' Club. If you would like to support the Sam Allen Grave Appeal, please send cheques payable to The Sam Allen Appeal c/o 12 Coate Marlborough Road Swindon SN3 6AA.