Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: STLFC 1-3 Plymouth

17 March 2014

Sponsored by

SWINDON TOWN              1

THE Town Ladies were beaten by three goals to one by Plymouth Argyle in the South West Combination League on a sunny, Sunday afternoon at Fairford, writes Roger Reeves. 

The visitors kicked off and Town keeper Robyn Levett was soon forced into action when Emily Mousley latched onto a through-ball and shot from close range. The Town took time settle and Beth Thompson burst down the Town right but her shot was saved by Michaela Phillips in the Argyle goal. Play was mainly confined to the midfield as both sides tried to create openings. 

A neat Plymouth build resulted in Emily Mousley shooting and, at the other end, Georgia Walters tried her luck from distance. Georgia Walters then opened up the visiting defence to find Beth Thompson who was beaten by a brave diving save from visiting 'keeper Michaela Phillips at the expenses of a corner. Amy Baker forced her way through the Argyle defence but her shot was just wide of the far post. In the 37th minute Plymouth took the lead when Emily Mousley ran on to Kate Middleton’s long clearance to lob the ball into the net.

The Town made a good start to the second period and Beth Thompson ran through the visiting defence to forced Plymouth 'keeper Michaela Phillips to save with her legs. Emily Mousley headed on Kate Middleton’s free kick that Town keeper Robyn Levett dealt with confidently. The visitors doubled their lead in the 57th minute when Ellie Dorey put Emily Mousley clear to score. Ten minutes later Argyle got a third. Emily Mousley was brought down in the box and Rebekah Rose scored from the resulting spot kick.  

Four minutes later the Town pulled a goal back when Ellie Maynard knocked in Michelle Rich’s free kick. The Town were having the better of the play and Georgia Walters was kept out by a fine diving save by the Argyle 'keeper. In the dying minutes, Ellie Maynard slipped the ball through the Plymouth defence to find Beth Thompson whose shot was fumbled by the Argyle 'keeper but was eventually scrambled away to prevent the Town from pulling another goal back.

Advertisement block