Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Tranmere 1-2 Town

25 March 2014

Club News

Report: Tranmere 1-2 Town

25 March 2014

MILES Storey’s second-half strike handed Town all three points at Tranmere Rovers.

Alex Smith had earlier put Swindon ahead before Max Power equalised. 

Mark Cooper made just one change to the side that had beaten Preston at the weekend with Raphael Rossi-Branco coming into the back three in place of Troy Archibald-Henville. Lee Cox was the only other change amongst the substitutes. 

After a bright opening, the visitors were in front after just 11 minutes. A ball across the Tranmere box dropped kindly for the arriving Alex Smith who thundered home the opener via the cross bar. 

The lead lasted just four minutes. Swindon couldn’t deal with a ball across the 18-yard box and when the ball came to Max Power, he steered home the bouncing ball past Foderingham to level the scores. 

It was the hosts who would then enjoy the better of the chances. Firstly, Ash Taylor’s acrobatic overhead kick from a corner had Foderingham scrambling across his goal but thankfully for Town, the ball drifted wide of the upright. 

On the half-hour, the Swindon stopper produced his best save of the half, denying the Jake Cassidy from close-range by producing a magnificent reflex save to bat the ball away for a corner. 

Town did have another half-chance before the first 45 was over but Michael Smith couldn’t connect properly with Miles Storey’s centre. Massimo Luongo also blasted a shot over from the edge of the box. 

Just before the break, a long ball upfield caught out the Swindon back-line and Ryan Lowe was presented with a shooting opportunity and a clear sight of goal. Foderingham was, once again, Town’s saviour as he clawed the shot away to safety. 

Seconds into the second half, Lowe struck the crossbar with a nicely-weighted chip from 25 yards out before another white shirt drilled the loose ball inches wide. 

Rovers’ Max Power then took centre-stage. He curled an effort wide from edge of the box before cracking a spectacular volley against the crossbar. 

With just over twenty minutes left to play, Miles Storey put Town in front once more. Cropping up on the right of the box, he drifted away from his man before hitting a cross/shot that deceived the goalkeeper and nestled in the back of the net. 

The goal proved to be the game’s final major moment and Mark Cooper’s men saw out the remainder of the match to seal a vital three points on the road. 

Swindon Town: Foderingham, Thompson (C), Stephens, Branco, McEveley, Smith A, Kasim, Luongo, Gladwin, Storey, Smith M

Subs: Belford, Barthram, Reckord, Cox, Barker, Reis, Waldon

For breaking team news and for live text updates, follow the official club Twitter and Facebook accounts. For live commentary, log on to STFC Player.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account