Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Chesterfield 0-3 Town

28 October 2014

Club News

Report: Chesterfield 0-3 Town

28 October 2014

A first-half double salvo from Yaser Kasim and Nathan Byrne set the platform for a 3-0 win for Swindon at Chesterfield.

Andy Williams wrapped up all three points for the visitors with a third goal twenty minutes from time.

The big news ahead of kick-off was the return of skipper Nathan Thompson to the starting XI. His return saw brother, Louis, push back into midfield with Jake Reeves dropping to the substitutes’ bench.

The home side had the better of the early running with Dan Gardner causing havoc down the Town right. Louis Thompson went close from the edge of the area before Jon Obika spurned a glorious chance to give Swindon the lead. Drifting past the advancing goalkeeper, the frontman could only push his shot wide of the empty goal.

On the half-hour, Wes Foderingham reacted magnificently to keep the scores level. A shot from the edge of the Town box took a deflection and flew through a crowd of bodies. The Swindon stopper got down with lightning-quick reflexes to get a solid fist on the ball.

Moments later, Yaser Kasim put the Town in front. Having curled a free-kick wide barely a minute earlier, the Iraq international stepped up to another set-piece and sent the ball into the back of the net.

Just five minutes later, Town pressed home their advantage even further by doubling their tally. Some neat play that took them from left to right saw Michael Smith pick out Nathan Byrne on the right. The wing-back advanced into the area and cut onto his left foot before unleashing a rocket that simply flew past Tommy Lee in the Chesterfield goal.

After the break, Town set about turning the screw. Massimo Luongo controlled a high ball on his chest then volleyed wide before Obika couldn’t quite stretch to reach Michael Smith’s driven cross.

Smith then went close himself as he was sent through on goal but was denied by Lee one-on-one. Obika went close again, steering Byrne’s cross against the woodwork before he was replaced by Andy Williams.

The substitute made an immediate impact, netting Town’s third of the evening just moments after coming on. Byrne was the architect, breaking forward from midfield and sliding in the striker. The ball ricocheted off the sliding defender and allowed Williams to nick the ball away from the goalkeeper then slot the ball into the back of the empty net.

Town could have added to their tally as the game entered its final stages but Smith arced an effort just wide of the far post while Williams lifted his shot over the crossbar from the angle.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account