Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Yeovil 1-1 Town

18 October 2014

Sponsored by

TEN-Man Town held on to record a valuable away point at Yeovil thanks to Andy Williams’ second-half leveller.

Captain Nathan Thompson, saw red for a second bookable offence after the Glovers had taken a lead into the break with James Hayter finding the back of the net for the home side.

The surprise inclusion in the Town line-up was that of striker Jon Obika who was deemed fit enough start after missing the last few weeks with a shoulder injury. There were also recalls to the side for international duo, Massimo Luongo and Yaser Kasim while Nathan Byrne was back in at right full-back.

In a scrappy opening first half, it was Yeovil who arguably had the better of the chances. Nathan Thompson had to be alert to block an effort from Jordy Hiwula while, at the other end, Nathan Byrne’s flighted cross was just too long for Obika.

Wes Foderingham then did well to turn away Joe Edwards’ downward header and Amari’i Bell’s ball in from the left evaded both Smith and Obika before the home side took the lead. With ten minutes of the half left to play, Louis Thompson’s tackle in midfield inadvertently set James Hayter clear on goal. Spotting Hiwula free to his left, he tried to pick him out but overcooked the pass. Hiwula rescued the situation on the byline and fed Hayter inside the box. With Foderingham across to cover Hiwula, Hayter had a simple task to side-foot the ball into the net.

After falling behind, the best Town could muster was a cleverly-worked corner routine that saw Luongo run over Byrne’s low delivery only for Kasim to scoop his effort over the crossbar.

After the break, the Town came flying out of the traps. Andy Williams manufactured a shooting opportunity but fired wide while Ben Gladwin also sliced a shot off target.

Wes Foderingham was kept busy at the other end, throwing himself to his right to get a firm punch on Simon Gillett’s thunderbolt from distance.

With just over 15 minutes to play, Swindon hauled themselves level. Some neat work in midfield set Jack Stephens free on the right. He burst past the full back before cutting the ball back for the waiting Andy Williams. The striker steered the ball across goal and into the top left-hand corner of the goal, to the delight of the 1,545 travelling fans.

Town did have to play the last ten minutes with ten men after Nathan Thompson was shown a second yellow card for an alleged handball over being bundled over by the Yeovil striker.

Despite their man disadvantage, Mark Cooper’s men continued to look a threat on the break. Nathan Byrne blazed over while Michael Smith’s effort was pushed away from goal by Krysiak.

Advertisement block