Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Town 0-3 MK Dons

4 April 2015

Club News

Report: Town 0-3 MK Dons

4 April 2015

SWINDON Town slipped to a 3-0 home defeat against promotion rivals MK Dons, writes Adrian Smith.

Two goals from Will Grigg and one from Daniel Powell sealed the win for the visitors who leapfrog Swindon in the League One table.

There were two changes in the Robins line-up from the team that won at Doncaster last time out with Sam Ricketts making his Town debut and Massimo Luongo returning so Harry Toffolo and Yaser Kasim were named on the subs bench. Cameron Belford, brother of Town player Tyrell, was also named as substitute goalkeeper on the bench.

MK Dons kicked off in front of the Sky Cameras but it was Town who made the brighter start with much of the play concentrated down the right wing in the first five minutes. MK threatened briefly when Nathan

Thompson lost possession in midfield which led to Foderingham making a good save low down from a

Nathan Byrne did well to latch onto the ball near the far corner flag and sent a good cross for Michael Smith but his glancing header went away from goal in the 11th minute.

MK appealed for a penalty shortly afterwards when Will Grigg tumbled in the penalty area after a challenge from behind but the referee waved away his claims and awarded a goal kick instead.

Wes Foderingham staked an early claim for man of the match with an outstanding save from Grigg in a one-on-one situation with the Town keeper diving acrobatically to push the ball away before gaining possession at the second attempt.

Dele Alli managed to fire in a curling shot from the left wing in the 18th minute after the ball had spilled to him but his effort went over the bar.

Town’s best attack of the half saw Luongo charge down the left wing before sending a measured cross to Byrne at the far post but his goalbound effort was cleared off the line by MK captain Lewington in the 20th minute.

MK had a corner in the 23rd minute which was taken long but cleared by the Town defence and then Byrne was fouled from behind as he tried to advance downfield.

John Swift went close to opening the scoring in the 26th minute after latching onto a superb cross from Ben Gladwin who was on the left wing but Swift’s effort flew wide of the upright.

MK were enjoying plenty of possession as the half wore on with Grigg again appealing for a penalty in the 31st minute after tumbling in the box but his claims were ignored.

Michael Smith found himself with some space in the 36th minute but he fired well over the bar and the next attack saw John Swift charge down the right wing before sending in a cross which was cleared at the expense of a corner which the MK defence cleared.

Michael Smith was cautioned for fouling Kay on the halfway line in the 41st minute catching the MK player late after the ball had gone.

Sam Ricketts made an important interception in the 44th minute to cut out a cross at the expense of a corner which was cleared.

Town earned a corner in the 45th minute when Luongo’s cross was deflected behind and when the ball was crossed, Rossi-Branco’s looping header went over the bar and that proved to be the last main action of the half.

The Robins were fast out of the blocks at the start of the second half with Michael Smith sending in a good cross to the far post for Byrne but his header went just wide of the goal.

Nathan Thompson saw yellow for a foul in the 48th minute meaning that he will be suspended for the trip to Bristol City.

Shortly afterwards Ben Gladwin collected the ball from a defensive clearance and strode through midfield before sending a pass towards Swift who was just unable to get possession and the keeper grabbed the ball.

There was a break in play for Nathan Thompson to receive treatment after getting injured in a challenge but he was able to rejoin play after some work by the physio.

Town were awarded a corner in the 54th minute but the resulting cross was caught by the MK keeper Martin.

Samir Carruthers tried his luck with a curling shot which went wide and another Town corner shortly afterwards saw the MK keeper catch the ball cleanly.

At the other end MK were awarded a free kick when Thompson fouled a MK player 5 yards from the edge of the penalty area and when Carruthers stepped up a superb free kick, Foderingham made an outstanding save to punch the ball over the bar for a corner.   The Town keeper had to receive treatment shortly after the corner was taken and the referee blew up for a foul.

MK took the lead in the 60th minute after a shot had been pushed out by Foderingham and the ball flew out to Daniel Powell who headed home from close range.

Williams and Kasim replaced Swift and Ricketts shortly afterwards as Mark Cooper elected to get an immediate response.

Andy Williams found himself with space in midfield and advanced forward before firing straight at Martin who collected the ball at the second opportunity.

Williams also blazed wide in the 67th minute with an angled effort in the 67th minute after the ball had been deflected to him.

Town continued to push for an equaliser without being able to get a shot on goal and they were punished in the 73rd minute when  a loose ball reached Will Grigg near the penalty spot and he fired home with a first time shot.

Lewis Baker replaced Bowditch shortly afterwards for MK adding another player to their midfield.

Ben Gladwin fired in a shot on the volley at the back post which was pushed behind by the keeper for a corner which was cleared in the 76th minute and two minutes later, Gladwin tried a repeat effort but this time the ball landed on the roof of the net.

Jon Obika replaced Gladwin in the 81st minute as Mark Cooper elected to add another striker to try and get a foothold back in the game.

There was a break in play when Lewington bumped into the Town manager and knocked him flying but no further action was taken.

Carruthers was replaced by Jordan Spence in the 86th minute and MK tightened their grip on the match after the Town defence failed to clear a ball from the right wing from Lee Hodson and Grigg had the simple task of tapping home unchallenged from close range to put the visitors ahead by three goals.

MK had a corner in the last minute of normal time which was cleared by the Town defence and the Robins also had a corner early in the 4 minutes of added time which led to nothing. MK’s Will Grigg was replaced by Devante Cole shortly before the end of the match but he had no time to make any impact before the final whistle.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account