Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Shrewsbury 0-1 Town

19 December 2015

Sponsored by

NICKY Ajose scored the only goal of the game as Town beat Shrewsbury 1-0 at Greenhous Meadow.

The frontman converted Anton Rodgers’ first-half cross to seal a fourth straight win.

Martin Ling was forced to make one change to his starting line-up with Anton Rodgers coming in to replace the injured Yaser Kasim. Drissa Traore returned to the matchday squad and took his place among the substitutes. 

Town had the better of the opening exchanges with Anton Rodgers sending a free-kick just over and Ben Gladwin lashing an effort wide. Fabien Robert was seeing plenty of the ball on the left of the midfield diamond and twice went close to finding teammates in the box with crosses.

Gladwin was also heavily involved in the Town’s play. He shot wide and forced a save from the Shrews goalkeeper before launching into an audacious effort from inside the centre circle. Taking a pass on his chest, he spun around and leathered the dropping ball towards goal and forced Mark Halstead in the Shrews goal to tip the shot behind for a corner.

The on-loan QPR man saw another effort saved by Halstead before Swindon took the lead. A corner from the Town right was played back into Rodgers in a wide position on the right. His driven cross was weighted expertly for Nicky Ajose who timed his run to perfection at the far post and applied the finish.

Louis Thompson and Brad Barry both fired off target for the visitors while at the other end, Shrewsbury may have levelled when a cross was headed into the side-netting from a tight angle.

Gladwin was off target again at the start of the second half before the home side cranked up the pressure. Shrewsbury did have the ball in the back of the net early into the second period when Vernon diverted a cross into the net but it was ruled out for offside.

Despite the home side raising their game, Town still created chances: Obika controlled a pass on the edge of the box before firing at the goalkeeper then Gladwin had an effort headed off the line after substitute, James Brophy had broken into the box and gone down under a challenge.

In the dying moments, Town had to withstand more pressure but held on to record all three points.

Advertisement block