Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Coventry 0-3 Town

12 January 2015

Sponsored by

A first-half double from Andy Williams set the platform for Town’s 3-0 away success at Coventry City.

In front of the Sky cameras, Jon Obika stepped off the bench to add to Williams’ brace and seal all three points for Mark Cooper’s men.

Captain Nathan Thompson was restored to the started XI at the Ricoh Arena with Rapha Rossi-Branco dropping to the bench to make way. He was joined among the substitutes by new signing, Jermaine Hylton.

The sides traded blows early on with Foderingham saving well at his near post while Ben Gladwin skewed wide from the edge of the box. There were just eight minutes on the clock however, when Town took the lead. Harry Toffolo’s inch-perfect, whipped delivery from the left was just begging to be headed in. Andy Williams duly obliged, powering home an emphatic header.

Ten minutes later, with the visitors still applying pressure, they doubled their advantage. A low, raking ball across the face of the box sneaked through to Louis Thompson who had made a late run into the area. He was bundled over from behind and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Williams was handed the responsibility and calmly sidefooted the ball into the back of the net, sending Ryan Allsop the wrong way.

Michael Smith then spurned two opportunities to add a third to Town’s tally. Firstly, after Mark Cooper’s men had torn the Sky Blues apart at the back, John Swift laid the ball off for Smith on the edge of the box. Town’s Number Nine burst into the box but put his effort wide of goal. Later in the half, Harry Toffolo was his provider from the left flank but Smith could only divert the ball wide.

Before the first forty-five was over, Nathan Byrne also shot wide after carrying the ball forward from his own 18-yard line.

Coventry started the second half strongly and Town twice did well to keep out some incisive attacking play. Foderingham and Nathan Thompson combined well to keep out an effort on the goal-line before the Town stopper was called into action again to deny Fleck. At the other end, Jon Swift fired a free-kick over the bar.

Pennington headed over for the hosts before Town added to their lead. On moments earlier as a substitute, Jon Obika rounded Allsop before pushing the ball towards the empty goal. The Coventry stopper clawed the ball away to safety but not before it had crossed the line.

Town’s victory, watched by 504 travelling supporters, takes them back to the summit of the League 1 table.

Advertisement block