Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Fleetwood 2-2 Town

3 January 2015

Sponsored by

A late equaliser from Louis Thompson earned Swindon a point at Fleetwood as Town recovered from two-goals down to draw 2-2.

A double from Josh Morris had the hosts two goals to the good after the hour mark but an effort from Andy Williams set the platform for Louis Thompson to net late on.

Mark Cooper made two changes to the starting line-up at Highbury. Loan signing, John Swift, was handed a debut in the centre of midfield in place of Massimo Luongo. Michael Smith was also drafted in to partner Andy Williams up front. Youth Team Scholars Tom Smith and Lee Marshall were named among the substitutes.

In a half dominated by the visitors, Swift was the first to register an effort on goal but he could only slice wide from the edge of the box. Nathan Byrne then picked out Andy Williams with a delightful cross but the frontman couldn’t convert from a difficult angle.

Swindon spurned an opportunity to take a lead into the break midway through the half. Swift’s slaloming run off the right flank was brought to an abrupt end in the box. Michael Smith stepped up to the spot-kick but saw his effort kept out by Chris Maxwell who dived away to his right and held onto the ball.

At the other end, Josh Morris flashed a shot across goal and wide before Harry Toffolo struck the inside of the upright. Andy Williams’ neat through-ball set the wing-back free but his effort across goal crashed back off the post before being cleared to safety.

Just four minutes into the second half, Town fell behind. A ball into Josh Morris in the left-hand channel of the box allowed him to manoeuvre himself into a shooting position before drilling a shot past Foderingham.

Ten minutes later, the hosts had doubled their advantage. A cross-field pass travelled across the face of the Town box and came through to Morris. The Fleetwood man was given time to smash in his second of the afternoon.

With twenty minutes to play, Swindon carved out an opportunity that got them back in the game. Toffolo was sent free on the left flank and drove in an early cross. The ball reached Andy Williams whose touch then took the ball onto a defender and diverted it into the back of the net.

Proctor’s header landed on the roof of the net while Swift neatly drifted off the left flank and drove an effort over the bar.

In the 88th minute and Town pushing for an equaliser, Mark Cooper’s men drew level. Ben Gladwin’s teasing cross from the left put the ball in behind the home side’s defence where Louis Thompson had made a late run into the box. The midfielder slid in to divert the ball into the net to earn a point for the visitors.

Advertisement block