Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Petersfield 2-3 Town

18 July 2015

A late strike from Jonathan Obika secured Town a 3-2 victory at Petersfield – their first win of the 2015/16 pre-season schedule.

Goals from two of Town’s trialists had twice given Swindon the lead then the visitors were pegged back by their hosts before Obika hit the winner.

It was the hosts who had the first chance early on from a corner but the spare man in the box couldn’t make a firm enough contact in front of goal.

The visitors took the lead through one of their trialists. After good work from Kevin Stewart, the trialist was well-placed to sweep the ball home from inside the box.

The same player would go close again but could only pick out the side-netting. Yaser Kasim also saw a free-kick well saved by the goalkeeper before the hosts levelled matters.

A through-ball into the right channel of the box picked out Michael Dixon who ran onto the pass and drilled a well-struck effort past Belford and into the net.

Nathan Byrne then saw an effort from close range blocked behind before turning provider for Town’s second of the afternoon. 

After good work from Jermaine Hylton on the touchline, a clever exchange of passes between himself and Byrne ended with the ball coming across to another of Town’s trialists who made no mistake from close range.

At the start of the second period, Town’s trialist at full-back found himself in a shooting position on the wide right of the area but could only blaze over. 

Jon Obika, who had come on as a half-time substitute, then began a one-man crusade to find the back of the net but twice found himself denied by the Petersfield stopper before dragging a shot wide of goal.

Meanwhile, at the other end, the home side drew level for the second time when a corner found its way over to the far post and was headed in by one of the green shirts waiting in the box. 

Obika was then kept out once more by the goalkeeper before hitting the crossbar from close range after barrelling his way through a series of challenges on the edge of the box. He was denied once again before being brought down inside the box. The frontman could have been forgiven for thinking it wasn’t going to be his day in front of goal when he picked himself up and saw his spot kick saved.

However, he was rewarded at the very end of proceedings when he turned on the afterburners on the edge of the box to zip away from a pair of covering defenders and drive the ball into the back of the net.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account