Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Solihull Moors 3-1 Town

14 July 2015

Sponsored by

TOWN tasted defeat for the third time in three pre-season outings as they went down 3-1 at Solihull Moors.

The hosts created the first notable opportunity of the game but the Moors frontman could only snatch at a shot from the edge of the area and Belford made an easy save. Moments earlier, the Town stopper did well to keep out a rasping effort from distance.

20 minutes into proceedings, Solihull took the lead. Darryl Knights was presented with a one-on-one opportunity and made no mistake, taking his time before cooly slotting beyond the exposed Belford.

At the other end, Miles Storey skipped away from the home defence but, from an angle, saw his left-footed shot kept out by the Moors’ goalkeeper.

Town did level matters shortly afterwards through two of the trialists on show. One played a neat ball through for the other and the latter calmly rounded the goalkeeper before putting the ball into the empty net.

Before the break the hosts had restored their lead through Asante. A defensive mix-up handed the striker the chance and he beat Nathan Thompson to the loose ball to prod it past Belford.

Just before the half time whistle blew, Solihull gave themselves a two-goal cushion. A corner was cleared to Dean and his volley travelled through a crowd of bodies inside the penalty area and nestled in the back of the net. 

A much-changed Town side took to the field for a second half which would see the sides largely cancel each other out.

Substitutes Jon Obika and Josh Cooke combined neatly to set up a chance for one of the Town trialists but he couldn’t keep his header on target while Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill also teed up a chance for Obika but the striker sent his header over the crossbar.

Belford acted well to keep out a strike from distance while Nathan Byrne’s curling effort from the edge of the box late on was easily held by the Moors’ goalkeeper.

Advertisement block