Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Doncaster 1-2 Town

17 March 2015

Sponsored by

SUBSTITUTE Jonathan Obika struck in the second minute of injury time to clinch all three points for Town in a 2-1 win at Doncaster.

After going into the half time break a goal down, Michael Smith’s penalty levelled affairs before Obika drilled in a late, late winner.

Mark Cooper made two changes to the side that had beaten Port Vale the previous Saturday. Out went Massimo Luongo and Andy Williams while Michael Smith and Yaser Kasim were both handed starting slots. First Year Youth Scholar, Connor Johns and schoolboy, Tommy Ouldridge were named among the substitutes.

Town started on the front foot with Ben Gladwin’s early effort sailing wide of the target before John Swift forced a save from Stephen Bywater. The visitors continued to create half chances with the Chelsea loanee at the heart of nearly every move. He somehow managed to escape the attention of two defenders while on his backside to create a crossing opportunity for Harry Toffolo then produced another smart stop from Bywater after gliding past a challenge on the edge of the box.

He then set Nathan Byrne free down the right but the full-back’s first-time cross was cut out before it got to Michael Smith, who was waiting to pounce.

Meanwhile, the home side’s only chance of note before taking the lead came midway through the half when a ball across the face of the six-yard box was missed by everybody and ran out for a throw-in.

Paul Dickov’s side did make the breakthrough just minutes before the break. A ball that had been cleared by Town was snaffled by Nathan Tyson. The frontman’s low cross was met by Curtis Main at the near post who turned the ball into the back of the net past the rooted Wes Foderingham.

Ten minutes into the second half, the visitors were level. Ben Gladwin was hauled down on the right hand edge of the area and Town were awarded a penalty. Michael Smith strode up to the spot-kick and drilled it to Bywater’s right and into the net beyond the grasp of the diving goalkeeper.

As both sides pushed for a winner, chances came and went. The best of Swindon’s efforts fell to Swift. A ball across the box found the midfielder unmarked at the far post and he was somehow kept out by Bywater.

With Foderingham keeping the game level at the other end, Obika netted a winner for the visitors in stoppage time. Picking up the ball on the left-hand edge of the box, he drilled a pile-driver beyond Bywater and into the corner of the net, sparking scenes of unbridled joy among the players and the travelling Town support.

Advertisement block