Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Port Vale 0-1 Town

14 March 2015

Sponsored by

RAPHA Branco's first half header was enough to seal a 1-0 win for Swindon at Port Vale.

Mark Cooper's men ground out the three points at Vale Park after taking the lead in the 8th minute.

Mark Cooper stuck with the same starting XI that had triumphed over Notts County just seven days earlier. The only change came among the substitutes, where First Year Scholar goalkeeper, Connor Johns, was drafted in to replace the injured Tyrell Belford.

Town’s bright start was rewarded in the eighth minute when Rapha Branco was perfectly placed to divert Harry Toffolo’s corner into the back of the net. Moments earlier, Andy Williams had fired wide after being put through on the left-hand edge of the box.

The visitors continued to boss proceedings: Massimo Luongo twice went close, firstly seeing a shot deflect into the arms of Neal before seeing a thumping shot cannon off the upright. Jack Stephens then turned neatly in the box and blazed a shot wide.

As the half progressed, the hosts tried to forge a way back into the match, spearheaded by former Town winger, Mark Marshall but, marshalled by Nathan Thompson, Swindon kept their opponents at arms’ length.

Early in the second half, Michael O’Connor’s free-kick struck the crossbar before travelling over. At the other end, Nathan Byrne’s cross/shot drifted narrowly wide of the target.

Having been a spectator for much of the first half, Foderingham reacted brilliantly to keep out a low drive from Ben Williamson that was bound for the bottom corner of the net. Shortly beforehand, some last-ditch Town defending had managed to get the ball clear after a spot of pinball in the box.

The visitors had chances to add to their tally but Byrne and Branco could only register efforts off target. As the visitors pressed for an equaliser, Wes Foderingham reacted brilliantly to turn away a shot from Ben Williamson after a spell  of Vale pressure.

Substitute Michael Smith leathered a shot off the upright in injury time before Jack Stephens fired at Neal just seconds later.

Advertisement block