Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Town 1-2 Oldham

20 October 2015

SWINDON Town lost 2-1 against Oldham Athletic in Lee Power’s first match as caretaker manager, writes Adrian Smith

The visitors took the lead in the 34th minute through Mike Jones and they held the lead until the 85th minute when Nicky Ajose equalised but Oldham claimed all three points when slack defending allowed Danny Philliskirk to score from close range in the 87th minute.

Oldham kicked off playing towards the Town End but it was the Robins who had the first attack of the game when Ben Gladwin’s shot was deflected for a corner in the 5th minute and that led to Bradley Barry firing in a long range shot which went wide of goal.

Town were indebted to keeper Lawrence Vigouroux when he made three saves in quick succession from Michael Higdon Carl Winchester’s shot then two headers by James Wilson which drew good applause around the County Ground.

Winchester was cautioned by the referee Andy Davies in the 14th minute for a late challenge on James Brophy as Town looked to mount a counterattack.

Town were awarded a free kick for handball in the 19th minute which led to a corner when the cross was deflected and that led to a mad goalmouth scramble when the Oldham keeper Cornell dropped the ball but no Town player was able to prod the loose ball home.

There was a scare at the other end when Winchester rolled a shot across goal but the ball went narrowly wide of the upright in the 21st minute.

Yaser Kasim tried his luck from 20 yards but his effort went high and wide to the right of the goal.

Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill earned a corner for Town when his cross was deflected behind in the 28th minute but the resulting cross was cleared.

Brophy sent in a superb teasing cross in the 33rd minute which was just missed by Gladwin and Rossi-Branco and the next attack saw Mike Jones curl in a shot from the left wing which beat Vigouroux to give Oldham the lead in the 34th minute.

The goal gave the visitors plenty of momentum which led to Danny Philliskirk firing in a curling shot from 20 yards which saw the ball fizz past the left hand upright.

The goalscorer Mike Jones was yellow carded in the 43rd minute for a foul on Traore in a central position but Kasim’s curled shot went straight over the bar and the chance was lost.

One minute of added time was played with no chances at either end before the half time whistle was blown.

The Town faithful were doing their best at the start of the second half to encourage the Robins and the momentum built slowly before Rossi-Branco fired in a long range shot which was always rising and the ball went over the crossbar.

The visitors threatened in the 56th minute through an overhead kick by Brian Wilson but his effort flew wide and Town counterattacked which led to Traore firing a shot on goal which was gathered by Cornell.

Winchester carved his way into the Town penalty area before his shot was deflected out for a corner and that led to Vigouroux punching the ball out from under the crossbar at the expense of another corner which was caught cleanly by the Town keeper.

Jeremy Balmy replaced Brophy in the 62nd minute and shortly afterwards Ormonde-Ottewill lost possession in midfield to present Oldham with an opportunity to score by Vigouroux did well to deflect the ball before a Town defender headed the ball out for a corner.

Rossi-Branco saw yellow for a late challenge near the centre circle in the 65th minute.

Town earned a corner in the 75th minute which led to a header by Balmy but his effort was weak and easily taken by the keeper.

Timothy Dieng replaced Wilson in the 78th minute for the visitors.

Oldham were happy to sit back and let Town knock the ball about in midfield without getting anywhere near the visiting goal.

Dominic Poleon replaced Higdon in the 80th minute and shortly afterwards Lafferty saw yellow for an off the ball incident near the corner flag.

Out of nowhere Town equalised after Gladwin had charged down the middle and laid the ball off to Nicky Ajose and although the keeper parried his first effort, the ball went back to Ajose and his deft lob went across goal and into the net.

The lead lasted less than two minutes because the visitors took advantage of some slack defending allowing Danny Philliskirk to flick home from close range to retake the lead despite Town having had chances to clear the ball.

Mark Yeates replaced Fulton shortly afterwards as the visitors looked to protect their slender lead in the four minutes of added time.

Town continued to pass the ball around without being able to get a shot on goal before the final whistle was blown to end a disappointing match for the Robins in their first match under Lee Power’s role of caretaker manager.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account