Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Oldham 2-0 Town

5 April 2016

Club News

Report: Oldham 2-0 Town

5 April 2016

TOWN went down 2-0 at Oldham Athletic with goals from Liam Kelly and Curtis Main handing the home side all three points at Boundary Park.

Goals either side of half time condemned Swindon to an away-day defeat in the fixture that was re-arranged after the original tie fell foul of the weather at the start of February.

Luke Williams was forced into one change to his starting line up. With Nicky Ajose sidelined through injury, Ellis Iandolo was restored to the starting line-up in his place. With Town’s leading scoring and Drissa Traore both injured, their places in the matchday squad were filled by youth team scholars, Jordan Young and Jake Evans.

After putting the home side under some early pressure including an effort from Michael Doughty that was well pouched by Joel Coleman in the Oldham goal, Swindon fell behind in the tenth minute. An arced cross from the left flank was perfectly flighted onto the head of the arriving Liam Kelly who powered a header into the back of the net from a central position. 

Seconds later, Brad Barry almost levelled matters when he connected with a looping cross at the far post but his header clattered back off the upright before being cleared to safety by the home side.

Town kept the pressure on with a series of corners but the home side stood up to the task and kept the visitors out. Shortly afterwards, Latics skipper, Kelly smacked a half-volley over the crossbar before Ty Belford held on to Jonathan Forte’s snapshot.

Louis Thompson saw his shot turned away by Coleman before Forte’s low cross-field ball was just too far in front of Curtis Main in what was the last meaningful action of the half. 

Town created the first opportunity of the second period when Jermaine Hylton brought down a high ball on the edge of the box before feeding Ellis Iandolo. The youngster, however could only lash a left-footed effort off target. 

Kelly leathered a shot off target as the hosts went close at the other end while Jamie Sendles-White sent a dipping left-footed volley just wide of the target as a corner dropped to him on the edge of the box and Michael Doughty’s skidding effort veered the wrong side of the post from a central position. 

Inside the final ten minutes, the home side sealed the points with a goal from Curtis Main. After a free-kick was cleared, James Wilson helped the ball back into the mix where Main was perfectly-placed to flick the loose ball into the net. 

Belford had to produce two fine saves towards the end as the home side looked to add to their tally.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account