Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Town 0-1 Bury

16 April 2016

Club News

Report: Town 0-1 Bury

16 April 2016

SWINDON Town slipped to a one nil home defeat against Bury, writes Adrian Smith.

Both Michael Doughty and Jon Obika were denied by the woodwork during the second half but Town couldn't find a way through.

Jake Kean lined up in goal having joined on an emergency loan from Norwich City due to injuries to Lawrence Vigouroux and Tyrell Belford. Jon Obika and Nicky Ajose also made returns after injury and Yaser Kasim’s name appeared on the subs bench following his layoff.

Bury kicked off but Town’s first attack saw Louis Thompson tripped by Cian Bolger after a surging run through midfield who was shown a yellow card in the second minute. Up stepped leading scorer Nicky Ajose to fire in a dipping free kick which went narrowly over the crossbar with the visiting keeper Chris Neal scrambling across his line.

Jon Obika had a decent chance in the 13th minute after receiving the ball on the right wing and he tricked his way into the penalty area before sending a shot just wide of goal.

The new Town keeper did well to make a last ditch save from Clarke after the Bury forward had ghosted the Town defence and looked odds-on to score but Kean pushed his shot over the bar. Kean made another important intervention in the 26th minute to punch a dangerous cross away to safety.

Town enjoyed a good spell of possession without getting a shot on goal and there was a stoppage in play while Bury player O’Sullivan received treatment but he was able to continue after a short break on the touchlines.

Bury had a corner in the 38th minute which saw their captain Soares head wide.

Nicky Ajose tried his luck from 25 yards with a rising shot but his affort went over the bar in the 60th minute. Yaser Kasim made his return during the break in play replacing Iandolo .

Bury took the lead in the 63rd minute through Danny Mayor who headed home from close range.

Brad Barry set Ajose up with a shooting chance in the 74th minute as Ajose took possession with his back to goal before turning and firing wide of goal.

Michael Doughty went close to equalising in the 76th minute but his first time shot thudded against the post.

Jon Obika was also denied by the crossbar from a good curling shot but the ball rebounded to safety with the keeper beaten.

Town had a corner deep in added time but they were denied by a clearance off the line by a defender and there was a stoppage while Nathan Thompson received treatment .

The final whistle was blown shortly afterwards so Town slipped to a narrow defeat and remain in 16th place on 51 points.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account