Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Town A-A Bristol Rovers

27 August 2016

SWINDON TOWN’s derby fixture against Bristol Rovers was abandoned after 60 minutes due to torrential rain making the pitch unplayable, writes Adrian Smith

The game was goalless at the time and although the referee held the game up for twenty minutes before making an inspection and the two sides will have to play at the County Ground on a rearranged date.

Town manager Luke Williams made one change to his starting lineup with Darnell Furlong replacing Bradley Barry in the early kickoff at the County Ground.

The Robins made a bright start leading to a second minute corner when Delfouneso’s cross was tipped over by Rovers keeper Roos for a corner and when the ball was crossed, Jamie Sendles-White was denied when his header rebounded off the post.

Delfouneso’s pressure led to another corner in the 9th minute when a defender headed behind but Rodger’s cross evaded everyone and the ball went out for a goal kick.

Rovers first attack on goal saw Chris Lines flick a shot just wide of goal in the 11th minute.

Delfouneso created another superb chance in the 19th minute for Town when he nicked the ball off a defender and laid it off across the area where it pinged about before the ball landed at the feet of Anton Rodgers but he could not get a shot on goal.

Nathan Delfouneso cropped up again on the edge of the Rovers penalty area and sent in a fierce cross which only just evaded two Town forwards.

Midway through the half Michael Doughty picked up a loose ball in midfield about 20 yards from goal and advanced before sending in a low shot which the keeper took low down.

Rovers then hit Town with a quick counter-attack - Clarke fired in a low shot which Lawrence Vigouroux took cleanly.

Luke Norris also tried to open his goalscoring account in the 29th minute after sidestepping a defender before firing in a low shot which Roos caught cleanly.

Yaser Kasim picked up the ball in midfield and fired in a curling shot which the keeper did well to parry before his defenders cleared downfield in the 35th minute. Michael Doughty earned a free kick when he was bundled over by Lines near the corner flag but the defence cleared the resulting cross.

James Brophy saw the first yellow card for a challenge on Lines near the halfway line but the Town defence cleared the resulting cross and then Lines saw yellow on the stroke of half-time for a trip on Delfouneso but Kasim’s kick sailed harmlessly out for a goalkick and that was the last action of a very entertaining half.

Rovers replaced James Clarke with former Town player Billy Bodin at the start of the second half as the skies opened in monsoon like conditions.

Town went straight on the attack after the kick off earning a corner but the chance was lost from the short corner routine because of an offside flag.

Rovers were showing more intent early in the second half and earned a corner when Sendles-White flicked a cross behind but Vigouroux caught the resulting cross cleanly.

The rain continued to pour down causing some intended passes to not reach their target. Kasim's free-kick from 25 yards flew over the bar and his attempt proved to be the last action before the referee Oliver Langford took the players off for a break . However the rain continued to fall and the referee eventually took the decision to abandon the match after a twenty minute break.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account