Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


6 December 2016

Sponsored by

Town bowed out of the Checkatrade Trophy after falling to a 3-2 defeat to Luton Town at The County Ground earlier this evening.

There was plenty of action in the early stages of the game with Luke Norris firing the Robins into a quick lead.

But Luton responded emphatically and stormed back to take the lead courtesy of Josh McQuoid’s double.

The Reds had chances to get back level after the break and did so just past the hour mark courtesy of a superb strike from substitute Ellis Iandolo - his first senior goal for the club.

Swindon were unable to hold on to their lead however and fell behind again courtesy of Isaac Vassell’s classy strike, which proved to be the winner.

Town handed a debut to new signing Rhys Sharpe with the defender slotting in on the left-side of a back-four.

Nathan Delfouneso was tasked with leading the line for the Reds with the trio of Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill, John Goddard and Luke Norris offering plenty of attacking support behind.

Town, playing for the first time in ten days, got off to a flyer and took the lead courtesy of Luke Norris, who curled home beautifully beyond Craig King after latching onto a superb through ball from John Goddard.

However, that joy was short-lived as the visitors hit back instantly with Josh McQuoid converting from close-range after pouncing on a Will Henry mistake.

The Robins responded well and came close to an equaliser after Nathan Delfouneso warmed the palms of King, but it was the Hatters who found the back of the net next.

Another mistake allowed McQuoid to manoeuvre into some space before rifling home from the edge of the area.

Isaac Vassell then forced a smart stop from Henry before clipping a shot just past the post after being sent clean through on goal thanks to Jake Gray’s pinpoint ball.

Town were facing an uphill battle to get back into the game and they were struggling to break down a stubborn Luton backline with Delfouneso seeing his effort deflected out for a corner.

Luton had further chances to increase their lead before the break but Henry did well to get down low and hold Pelly Ruddock’s drive from distance.

Town made a triple substitution at half-time with Ellis Iandolo, Jordan Young and Jermaine Hylton all entering the fray.

However, it was the visitors who made the better start to the second-half with Olly Lee firing over from a short-corner routine before Vassell nodded wide from inside the area.

Darnell Furlong failed to get his header on target at the other end before Delfouneso was also off-target with the Reds still searching for an equaliser.

But that pressure told just past the hour mark as Iandolo received the ball no less than 30-yards out before smashing home a stunning strike to get his side back on level-terms.

Goddard and Vassell were both off-target in the wake of that goal before Hylton thumped wide after being picked out perfectly by Delfouneso.

And that miss proved costly as Luton charged down the other end to restore their lead with Vassell slotting past Henry.

Young then dragged wide for the hosts which proved to be the final meaningful action of the game with Town bowing out of the Checkatrade Trophy.


SCORERS –Luke Norris (5), Josh McQuoid (8, 18), Ellis Iandolo (62), Isaac Vassell (68).

TOWN –Henry; Evans, Furlong, Thomas, Sharpe; Rodgers (C) (Ellis Iandolo 45), Murray; Ormonde-Ottewill (Jermaine Hylton 45), Goddard, Norris (Jordan Young 45); Delfouneso.

Subs Not Used –Vigouroux, Gunner, Ouldridge, Twine.

LUTON TOWN –King; Potts, Smith, Gray (Tyreeq Bakinson 85), Ruddock-Mpanzu; Lee, Senior, Justin, Musonda; Vassell, McQuoid (Craig Mackail-Smith 74).

Subs Not Used –Gooch, Tomlinson, Cotter, Snelus, Banton.

Referee –Roger East


LUTON TOWN –Josh McQuoid

ATTENDANCE –1,692 (134 Luton Fans). 

Advertisement block