Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Gillingham 0-0 Town

6 February 2016

Sponsored by

A battling performance from the Town earned them a point in a 0-0 draw at Gillingham.

On a blustery day in Kent, the conditions played their part on an afternoon where the visitors’ best chances fell to the returning Nicky Ajose and Jon Obika.

After missing Tuesday’s defeat at Port Vale, Ajose and Jordan Turnbull were back among the starting XI that lined up against the Gills. The former reverted to his usual position up front with Jon Obika while the latter partnered Nathan Thompson in the heart of the Swindon defence.

In an even and goalless first forty-five, the home side came closest to opening the scoring early. A slip from Turnbull at the back presented Rory Donnelly with a two-on-one with Lawrence Vigouroux. The shot beat the Town stopper but not the post and the ball clattered away to safety off the outside of the upright. 

Obika then sent a thumping volley into the side netting while Vigouroux reacted splendidly to push Josh Wright’s effort over the crossbar.

Anton Rodgers then teed up Michael Doughty on the edge of the box but the on-loan QPR man couldn’t hit the target with his shot. The midfielder was instrumental in Town’s next chance, playing in Ajose who in turn, found Obika in the box. The frontman’s fierce shot was turned behind by a defender for a corner.

Early on in the second half, Rodgers was given time and space on the edge of the box to flick the ball up before lashing a dipping volley at Nelson. 

Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill and Ellis Iandolo both fired high and wide of the target while the hosts’ Donnelly, who had hit the upright earlier on in the game, planted a header from six yards out straight at Vigouroux. 

Town’s best chance of the second half fell to Nicky Ajose. Brad Barry’s whipped cross in from the right reached the striker at the far post but the blustery wind caught the ball forcing a deviation from its intended path and when it came to Ajose, he could only head wide of the target.

As both sides battled to find a winner late on, John Egan caught a bouncing ball on the edge of the box but sent a curling volley inches wide of the post.

Advertisement block