Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Port Vale 1-0 Town

2 February 2016

Club News

Report: Port Vale 1-0 Town

2 February 2016

TOWN registered back-to-back defeats in the league, going down 1-0 at Port Vale.

Carl Dickinson’s sixth-minute header was enough to split the sides and condemn Swindon to an away-day defeat. 

Injuries to key players gave Town’s matchday squad at Vale Park a depleted look: regulars Jordan Turnbull, Rapha Rossi-Branco and Nicky Ajose were all absent through injury forcing a reshuffle to the back four in particular. Michael Doughty found himself in the unfamiliar position of centre-half alongside Nathan Thompson. There were also starts for Jeremy Balmy, Jermaine Hylton and Anton Rodgers. 

After a bright start from the visitors, it was Port Vale who edged in front after just six minutes. A deep corner was clipped back into the area where Carl Dickinson was on hand to head the ball into the back of the net. 

Despite the early set-back, the visitors created chances. Jon Obika headed Brad Barry’s cross over before firing straight at Jak Alnwick in the Vale goal while Fabien Robert also drilled an effort just wide of the upright. 

At the other end, Louis Dodds almost doubled the home side’s lead when his shot from distance had Vigouroux rooted to the spot but not the post. The ball ricocheted back off the woodwork and bounced across the face of goal before being cleared to safety. 

After the break, Town were out of the traps quickly with Obika leading a break upfield before shooting over the angle of bar and post. 

It was then Robert’s turn to send a thumping volley over the crossbar after being teed up by Brad Barry.

Vigouroux kept out a rasping effort from the edge of the box but couldn't manage to hold onto it and Town were forced to scramble behind for a corner.

Jordan Young was brought on as a substitute - the fourth youngest-ever Town player behind Lloyd Macklin, Paul Rideout and Ernie Hunt - and soon forced a corner.

Robert sent another volley at Alnwick before the game began to open out with chances coming at either end. As the clock ticked nearer to 90, Vigouroux reacted magnificently to keep our JJ Hooper one-on-one.

With Swindon unable to muster another shooting opportunity, they slipped to a second successive 1-0 defeat.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account