Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Town 0-1 Barnsley

30 January 2016

Club News

Report: Town 0-1 Barnsley

30 January 2016

AN 88th-minute goal condemned Town to a 1-0 home defeat at the hands of Barnsley, writes Adrian Smith.

Sam Winnall scored the winner for Barnsley in a match of few clear-cut chances for either side.

Luke Williams made one change to the Town line-up with Nathan Thompson starting in place of Anton Rodgers.

Town kicked off playing towards the 888 Sport Town End and made a bright start and earned a corner in the 14th minute when Barry’s cross was deflected behind which was cleared and the visitors counterattacked strongly leading to Winnall heading over from close range.

Michael Doughty, making his first appearance at the County Ground on loan from QPR, was featuring in much of Town’s play sending good passes to the wings to stretch the Barnsley defence. Doughty also showed good pace down the right wing and charged into the penalty area appealing for a penalty but the referee Tim Robinson waved away his claims in the 20th minute.

Some neat interpassing in the 24th minute by the Robins saw the Barnsley 'keeper Adam Davies swiftly off his line to hoof the ball clear and when it reached Fabien Robert, his first-time lob saw the ball land on the top of the goal.

Alfie Mawson went close with a long range shot after tricking his way past several Town players but his effort saw the ball fly over Vigouroux’s crossbar.

Barnsley were awarded a free kick 25 yards from goal in a central position for a foul but Conor Hourihane’s dipping shot went over the bar in the 31st minute.

Doughty conceded a free kick in the 32nd minute for tripping Lloyd Isgrove and was cautioned  before  Josh Brownhill fired in a dipping shot which also went over the bar.

Barnsley’s first corner of the match in the 42nd minute saw Vigouroux gather the ball cleanly under heavy pressure from Barnsley.

Brad Barry was fouled 35 yards by goal by Fletcher and the resulting ball forward was deflected for a corner as the match entered the two minutes of added time. Town lost possession from the corner and Barnsley counterattacked strongly with Vigouroux making a good save with his feet from Winnall’s shot.

Town made an early substitution with James Brophy replacing Brad Barry.

Obika carved out another chance for himself when he did well to control a pass 20 yards from goal before turning a firing in a powerful shot which the 'keeper pushed around the post for a corner.

Nathan Thompson made a vital interception in the 62nd minute to deny Winnall who had a clear sight on goal from twelve yards but the Town captain managed to deflect the shot away from goal.

Barnsley replaced Fletcher with Josh Scowen in the 67th minute and the sub was soon in the action heading over with the goal at his mercy although Ormonde-Ottewill did well to put him under pressure.

Fabien Robert was replaced by Jeremy Balmy and Nicky Ajose was replaced by Michael Smith.

Town earned a corner in the 82nd minute when Ormonde-Ottewill’s cross was headed behind by Williams but Obika’s header from the cross went over the bar.

Town were caught out by a counterattack in the 88th minute when a cross by Bree was not cleared and Sam Winnall was on hand to prod home from close range.

There was a mad scramble shortly afterwards in the visitors' penalty area with the ball pinging around but no Town player was able to fire home before the ball was cleared and that proved to be the last action of the match.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account