Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Town in Ireland: UCD 1-5 Town

16 July 2016

Sponsored by

TOWN rounded off their week in the Republic of Ireland with a 5-1 win over UCD.

Jordan Stewart started the scoring in the first half before strikes from Jamie Sendles-White, Conor Thomas, Jake Evans and James Brophy saw Swindon cap their tour off with a win. Ryan Swan got the home side on the scoresheet with a late penalty.

Luke Williams made three changes to the starting line-up that had beaten Shelbourne in midweek. Lawrence Vigouroux, James Brophy and Jon Obika were all replaced by Will Henry, Brandon Ormone-Ottewill and Jordan Stewart respectively.

On a sunny day at the UCD Bowl, Town’s first opportunity fell to Brad Barry who connected with Ormonde-Ottewill’s cross at the far post but saw it deflect behind for a corner. John Goddard then headed wide after the corner had been cleared then recycled into the box. 

With twenty minutes on the clock, Swindon took the lead moments after nearly breaking the deadlock. After Nathan Thompson’s piledriver had been kept out, during Town’s next period of possession, Jordan Stewart picked the ball up 20 yards from goal and sent a curling effort into the top corner beyond the dive of Conor O’Donnell. 

The tourists then began to turn the screw: Jamies Sendles-White headed at O’Donnell and Anton Rodgers volleyed wide before Town thought they had doubled their lead when Barry headed home Rodgers’ deep cross but the full-back had strayed into an offside position. 

After a lengthy stoppage for the treatment of UCD’s Tomas Boyle – who was stretchered off injured – Town were quickly back into their stride and doubled their lead. Yaser Kasim’s corner was met in the middle by Jamie Sendles-White who diverted the ball home with his foot past the rooted O’Donnell. The stopper had produced a fine save seconds earlier to push Barry’s thumping effort away for a corner. 

Jermaine Hylton and James Brophy replaced Jordan Stewart and Brad Barry respectively at the start of the second half. Hylton wasted no time getting stuck into the action, round O’Donnell before seeing an effort cleared off the line. 

John Goddard rattled the woodwork before his midfield partner, Conor Thomas, added Town’s third of the afternoon. A low cross from Ormonde-Ottewill came all the way through to the former Coventry man who was unmarked inside the box and gleefully accepted the opportunity to open his Swindon account. 

After another round of substitutions, the tourists made it four when substitute, Jordan Young displayed some clever skill to ghost past a pair of defenders before teeing up fellow substitute, Jake Evans to hammer the ball in via the upright. 

Moments earlier, Young himself had brought another smart save out of Conor O’Donnell and was involved in Town’s fifth goal minutes later. He and Iandolo combined down the left to get the ball across to Brophy who arrived at the far post and made no mistake after substitute goalkeeper, Niall Corbet had parried the ball into his path. 

Ellis Iandolo curled wide after good work from Hylton and Jordan Young couldn’t hit the target from Brophy’s cut back.

At the other end, Lawrence Vigouroux was called into action to tip Ryan Swan’s curling free-kick over the crossbar.

With virtually the last kick of the game, Ryan Swan converted a penalty after Nathan Thompson was adjudged to have brought his man down in the box. 

Advertisement block