Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Scunthorpe 6-0 Town

28 March 2016

Sponsored by

Town were hit for six by Scunthorpe United, conceding half a dozen goals without reply in a 6-0 defeat at Glanford Park.

Two goals down at the break, the hosts added another four to their tally after the interval while Swindon could not make the most of any opportunities they created at the other end. 

With a combination of injuries and suspensions, Luke Williams was forced into three changes at Gladford Park. There were recalls to the starting line-up for Raphael Rossi-Branco – who took custody of the captain’s armband in the absence of the suspended Nathan Thompson – Drissa Traore and James Brophy. Jermaine Hylton continued alongside Nicky Ajose in attack while both Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill and Anton Rodgers had to be content with places among the substitutes. 

The early exchanges were punctuated by near-identical attempts on goal for both teams. Fabien Robert’s driven cross was just too far in front of Ajose while the hosts’ Paddy Madden could not stretch far enough to finish off a similar chance for the Iron.

Ajose then turned provider for Louis Thompson on the edge of the 18-yard box but the on-loan Norwich City midfielder saw his cross/shot drift wide of the target.

Just short of the half-hour mark, Graham Alexander’s side edged into the lead. A through-ball from Hakeeb Adelakun was met by Conor Townsend, who hooked a shot into the far corner of the net beyond the grasp of Ty Belford.

Brad Barry slammed an effort over the bar as Town looked for a way back into the match but Belford still had to be alert as Luke Williams’ drilled in a shot from an angle. The Town stopper beat away the drive before the visitors’ defence re-grouped and blocked the follow-up from Madden. 

Moments before the half-time interval, the Iron made it 2-0 through Jordan Clarke. The full-back’s cross from a position on the right looped into the back of the net over Belford. 

Just as they had been against Wigan on Good Friday, Town were hit by a quick-fire double from the opposition the other side of half time. Firstly, Hakeeb Adelakun snuck in down the Swindon right and took a touch before calmly slotting beyond Belford. Minutes later, Tom Hopper got to a ball in front of the visitors’ defence and found himself one-on-one. Like his team-mate, the Iron’s player kept his head and prodded an effort into the back of the net. 

Hopper had the ball in the back of the net again but saw the goal ruled out for offside before the home side added a fifth strike to their tally. A floated ball over the top of the Town back line picked out Paddy Madden’s perfectly-timed run and the striker made no mistake inside the box.

Arguably, Swindon’s best chance of the afternoon fell to Nicky Ajose who couldn’t hit the target on the stretch from close range after excellent work from substitute, Ellis Iandolo. Shortly beforehand, some neat work from the visitors had manufactured a chance for Ajose in the middle but after a scramble, Iron ‘keeper, Luke Daniels came away with the ball.

The Iron completed the scoring when Hopper did eventually add his second of the afternoon. David Mirfin helped a cleared corner kick back towards the far post where Hopper was lurking and the frontman was perfectly placed to head the ball home from close range.

Advertisement block