Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Town 2-2 Millwall

12 March 2016

Sponsored by

SWINDON Town came from two goals down to earn a point in a 2-2 draw with Millwall thanks to Nicky Ajose's penalty and Michael Doughty’s last minute header, writes Adrian Smith.

Millwall were two nil up after 11 minutes through goals by Lee Gregory and Steve Morison but Town got back in the match through Nicky Ajose’s 63rd minute penalty. Doughty sealed the comeback with a header in the fourth minute of added time.

Luke Williams recalled Raphael Rossi-Branco, Fabien Robert and Louis Thompson to his starting line-up so Jamie Sendles-White, Ellis Iandola and Drissa Traore were included on the bench. There was also a place for Will Henry as substitute 'keeper in place of the injured Ty Belford.

Millwall took the lead early on when Lee Gregory headed home from close range.

Gregory then side-footed when wide one-on-one but there was no escape for Town when Steve Morrison fired low past Vigouroux to double the visitors' lead.

Ajose's attempted flick at a cross only resulted in him diverting the ball wide of goal.

Town enjoyed a good spell of possession midway through the half leading to Ajose heading goalwards from Obika’s cross but the visiting keeper Jordan Archer did well to push the ball away.

In the 29th minute Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill did well to weave past several defenders but his final shot was wayward and well wide of goal.

Brad Barry popped up in attack to earn a corner for Town when he latched onto a loose ball and fired a shot at goal but his effort was deflected and when the ball was crossed in, Turnbull was penalised for pushing.

Town finished the half strongly but went into the break two goals down.

Steve Morison went close for the visitors in the 48th minute when he was allowed to head goalwards.

Raphael Rossi-Branco was awarded a penalty in the 63rd minute when he tumbled under a challenge in the penalty area and up stepped Town’s leading scorer Nicky Ajose to score his 21st goal of the season and lift the noise levels around the County Ground.

Nicky Ajose tested the keeper’s reflexes with a powerful shot in the 75th minute from 20 yards and the keeper was forced to only parry the ball which was then cleared.

Anton Rodgers went close at the start of the 4 minutes of added time with a superb shot which went just wide of the upright with the keeper beaten.

Town snatched an equaliser right at the end of added time when Brad Barry’s cross was flicked on and reached Michael Doughty who headed home from close range to spark delirium around the County Ground.

The point gained moves Swindon onto 49 points from 35 matches played and they are now in 14th place in League 1.

Advertisement block