Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


29 October 2016

Club News


29 October 2016

Town were made to pay for a poor first-half display after falling to a heavy 4-1 defeat to Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park earlier today.

The Sky Bet League One leaders ran riot in the first-half and were able to take a resounding 4-0 lead in at the break thanks to a Paddy Madden brace and efforts from Duane Holmes and Kevin van Veen.

Nathan Thompson did pull one back for the Reds in the second-half but it was too little too late with Scunthorpe running out comfortable winners.

Town made just the one change with Raphael Rossi-Branco replacing James Brophy, who missed out through injury.

Branco took his place at the heart of the back-four alongside Conor Thomas, with Nathan Thompson and Darnell Furlong lining up in the right and left-back slots respectively.

The visitors were given a huge boost prior to kick-off too with Lloyd Jones, Michael Doughty, Jordan Young and Jordan Stewart all fit enough to take their place amongst the subs.

Town got off to a bright start and forced a corner in the opening exchanges following good link-up play between Nathan Delfouneso and John Goddard, but it was the home side who struck the first blow of the afternoon.

After keeping their guests penned in following a corner, Conor Townsend picked out Paddy Madden perfectly inside the box and the striker kept his cool to apply the finishing touch.

That goal only served to settle the Iron into a rhythm and they doubled their advantage just past the twenty-minute mark after Duane Holmes lashed home beyond Lawrence Vigouroux.

Town did attempt to muster up a response at the other end as Ellis Iandolo’s low, driven ball across the box just evaded Delfouneso, but that missed opportunity would come back to haunt the visitors.

With the first-half nearing a close, Scunthorpe proceeded to tighten their grip on the game and added a third after Keven van Veen took advantage of hesitant defending to hook the ball over the advancing Vigouroux before slamming home into an empty net.

And rampant Scunthorpe were in no mood to rest on their laurels and they made it 4-0 on the stroke of half-time, Madden converting from close-range for his second of the afternoon after van Veen had rattled the post.

Town threw on Lloyd Jones and Michael Doughty after the interval in a bid to put a stop to Scunthorpe’s dominance and it worked with Nathan Thompson heading home emphatically just five minutes into the second-half.

However, the hosts were always in control and it wasn’t long before Vigouroux had to react brilliantly in order to tip over David Mirfin’s close-range effort.

Doughty then saw a low shot well held by Luke Daniels, before Vigouroux did well to deny Madden and Morris with Scunthorpe running out convincing winners.


SCORERS - Paddy Madden (15, 45), Duane Holmes (21), Kevin van Veen (42), Nathan Thompson (50).

SCUNTHORPE UNITED - Daniel; Wiseman (Levi Sutton 67), Wallace, Mirfin, Townsend; Holmes, Bishop (Richie Smallwood 50), Dawson (C), Morris; Madden, van Veen (Tom Hopper 74).

Subs Not Used - Anyon, Adelakun, Mantom, Goode.

TOWN - Vigouroux; Thompson (C), Thomas, Rossi-Branco, Furlong; Rodgers, Kasim; Goddard (Michael Doughty 45), Murray, Iandolo (Lloyd Jones 45); Delfouneso (Jordan Stewart 72).

Subs Not Used - Henry, Evans, Young, Norris.

REFEREE - Sebastian Stockbridge.


SCUNTHORPE UNITED - Neal Bishop, Stephen Dawson.

TOWN - Darnell Furlong, Nathan Thompson, Jordan Stewart.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account