Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Peterborough United 2-2 Swindon Town

3 September 2016

Club News

REPORT: Peterborough United 2-2 Swindon Town

3 September 2016

Town came from behind twice at Peterborough United to claim a point in a 2-2 draw in-front of the Sky cameras at the ABAX Stadium this afternoon.

Michael Doughty’s penalty had leveled things at the start of the second-half while the midfielder was key in the second equaliser, crossing for Jack Baldwin to put through his own net.

Luke Williams was forced into making changes at the ABAX Stadium with Yaser Kasim, Jamie Sendles-White and Jordan Stewart all away on international duty.

In came Conor Thomas and John Goddard in midfield while Darnell Furlong filled in at the back. Luke Norris dropped to the bench after starting last weekend’s game against Bristol Rovers.

After a period of probing from both sides, it was Posh who created the first opening but Paul Taylor skewed well wide of the target after working himself a yard of space to work with on the edge of the box.

Marcus Maddison then lashed lashed over the crossbar while Goddard’s shot from outside the box flew straight into the arms of Mark Tyler.

Despite early pressure from the home side, it was the Town who appeared to be on top as the half approached its mid-way point with a spell camped in the opposition half, which ended with Anton Rodgers curling wide from distance after being teed up by Brad Barry.

However, with ten minutes to go until half-time, it was Posh who took the lead after Maddison swung a free-kick into the middle of the Town box where Gwion Edwards had timed his run to perfection to power a header into the back of the net and nudge the hosts in front.

As the visitors sought a way back into the contest, some neat interplay on the edge of the box saw Doughty’s shot loop over the crossbar after hitting a Peterborough defender.

Right on half-time, Goddard manufactured a yard of space for himself on the left edge of the six-yard box and drilled a left-footed effort across the face of the goal that whistled past the base of the post and wide.

Just before the whistle blew for half-time, there was still time for Lawrence Vigouroux to collect a looping header from Andrew Hughes as the guests went into the break a goal down.

Town started brightly after the interval as Goddard latched onto a shot just inside the left-hand channel, but his effort bounced straight into the grateful arms of Tyler in the Peterborough goal.

In what was a frenetic opening to the second-half, Taylor saw an effort cleared off the line by Nathan Thompson just seconds later, before Town hit back emphatically. 

Just five minutes in, the Robins were awarded a penalty for handball in the box, with Doughty stepping up to stroke the ball into the right-hand corner to haul the visitors level.

The action then quickly switched to the other end where a flying block from Darnell Furlong allowed Vigouroux to claim Tom Nichols’ shot with ease.

Just short of the hour mark, Deadline Day signing Sean Murray was introduced in place of Anton Rodgers to make his Town debut.

However, Murray’s first involvement was not the entrance he would have been looking for. As the ball squirted away from him inside the box, he stretched to reach the loose ball but caught the arriving Andrew Hughes who had just got there ahead of him.

Maddison stepped up to tuck home the resultant spot-kick beyond Vigouroux to restore Peterborough’s lead.

As the Robins went in search of a second equaliser, the impressive Doughty’s well-weighted through-ball found the run of Nathan Delfouneso but as the striker pulled the trigger, the linesman raised his flag and Tyler made a smart stop low down to his left.

But Town did pull themselves level for a second time moments later, with Doughty once again involved. 

The creative force created himself some space in which to produce a dangerous cross, and Posh defender Baldwin could only divert the ball into the back of his own net.

Vigouroux had to be alert at the other end to turn Jermaine Anderson’s shot behind, before Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill came on and made an instant impact, setting up Barry who’s effort was deflected out for a corner.

With both sides doing their utmost to try and win the game in stoppage time, Luke Norris – a second-half substitute – was inches away from winning it for Town in dramatic fashion, but his well-struck shot whistled past the far post with the two teams having to settle for a point. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account