Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Stevenage 5-2 Swindon Town

Reds Fall At Second Round Stage

2 December 2017

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Stevenage 5-2 Swindon Town

Reds Fall At Second Round Stage

2 December 2017

Swindon Town bowed out of The Emirates FA Cup this afternoon after suffering a heavy 5-2 defeat away at Stevenage.

Both sides made good starts to the game but it was the hosts who made their pressure count as quick-fire efforts from Alex Samuel and Matt Godden put their side firmly in the driving seat. 

Amine Linganzi did pull one back before the break and Matty Taylor completed the comeback after his corner flew straight into the back of the net. 

However, their hard work was undone just before the whistle blew to end a thrilling half as Tom Pett lashed home his side's third of the afternoon. 

And Danny Newton helped himself to a brace in the second-half to inflict a heavy defeat on the Reds.

Dave Flitcroft decided to make four changes with Lawrence Vigouroux and Amine Linganzi both returning from injury to take their place in the Starting XI, while Luke Norris recovered from an ankle knock to take his place on the bench. 

There were also starts for Kellan Gordon and Kaiyne Woolery with Reice Charles-Cook, Ellis Iandolo and Harry Smith dropping to the bench - Keshi Anderson missed out after failing to get permission from parent club Crystal Palace to feature in the competition. 

Town were looking to reach the Third Round of The Emirates FA Cup for the first time since 2011, and they made a bright start to proceedings.

Kaiyne Woolery burst into the box within the opening minute but his cross was gathered by Joe Fryer, and he was at it again minutes later after being in by Paul Mullin but, again, his final ball just let him down. 

Matt Preston then saw his header from Matty Taylor's corner land on the roof of the net, before Luke Wilkinson sent a tame header straight at Lawrence Vigouroux. 

Taylor could only bend a free-kick wide and that paved the way for the hosts to enjoy a spell of pressure, which they eventually made count. 

Matt Godden saw his shot deflected behind with Wilkinson's header from the resulting corner clawed away by Vigouroux. 

But Town were unable to keep the home side at bay for long and, having survived another goalmouth scramble, they found themselves a goal behind with Wilkinson's header back across goal finding Alex Samuel who stabbed home. 

It was soon 2-0 as Stevenage continued to launch wave after wave of attack on the visiting goal, and it was Matt Godden with it as he was played clean through by Tom Pett before keeping his cool to slot home beyond Vigouroux who had rushed off his line. 

Town wanted a penalty after Paul Mullin went down under a challenge from Wilkinson, but the referee wasn't interested and play was waved on. 

The Reds did get back into the contest before half-time though, and it came courtesy of a Taylor set-piece with Amine Linganzi heading home from a corner with help from the underside of the bar.

Linganzi tried to double his tally immediately after but his drive from 25-yards fizzed wide, before James Dunne sent a pile-driver from distance straight at Fryer. 

But Town were soon back on level-terms and the equalising goal came out of nowhere with Taylor firing in direct from a corner. 

It was a brilliant fightback from the Reds but they were dealt another blow on the stroke of half-time with Pett lashing home a superb volley. 

Town opted to make a change at the break with leading scorer Luke Norris replacing Woolery as they looked to get back in the game. 

It looked to have made a difference too with Norris getting stuck right in to feed Mullin, who fired a shot inches wide of the far post. 

Olly Lancashire then glanced a header wide from Taylor's free-kick, before Harry Smith replaced Kellan Gordon. 

Town were trying everything to get back into the game with Preston seeing his header tipped over the bar by Fryer, and that miss would come back to haunt them mere moments later. 

Stevenage went straight down the other end and added an insurance goal with Danny Newton powering home a header from Godden's cross. 

Norris should have pulled one back minutes later after being picked out perfectly by Ben Purkiss, but his free header flew wide. 

And, once again, that wasted opportunity was punished as Newton weaved his way through the Town defence before rounding Vigouroux and slotting home. 

James Brophy replaced John Goddard late on that couldn't stem the tide with Stevenage continuing to create chances as Chris Whelpdale forced Vigouroux into action. 

Fryer then parried Taylor's free-kick at the other end and that proved to be the final action of the game with Town's FA Cup adventure over for another year. 


SCORERS - Alex Samuel (18), Matt Godden (22), Amine Linganzi (32), Matty Taylor (41), Tom Pett (45), Danny Newton (72, 77).

STEVENAGE (4-4-2) - Fryer; Henry (C), King, Wilkinson, Martin; Whelpdale, Smith, McKee, Pett; Godden (Tom Conlon 84), Samuel (Danny Newton 53). 

SUBS NOT USED - Day, Franks, Beautyman, Vancooten, Wilmot. 

SWINDON TOWN (4-3-3) - Vigouroux; Purkiss, Preston, Lancashire (C), Taylor; Dunne, Linganzi, Goddard (James Brophy 82); Mullin, Woolery (Luke Norris 45), Gordon (Harry Smith 63). 

SUBS NOT USED - Charles-Cook, Robertson, Knoyle, Iandolo.


STEVENAGE - Jonathan Smith, Luke Wilkinson.

SWINDON TOWN - Paul Mullin.

Referee - Nicholas Kinseley.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account