Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town 0-1 Forest Green Rovers

Reds Exit Checkatrade Trophy

5 December 2017

Sponsored by

Swindon Town bowed out of the Checkatrade Trophy this evening after suffering a narrow 1-0 defeat to Forest Green Rovers at The Energy Check County Ground.

It was a tight affair throughout but the game was settled thanks to Christian Doidge's late, late winner.

Dave Flitcroft opted to give the likes of Chris Robertson, Kyle Knoyle and Ellis Iandolo a run-out, with five changes made in total from the team that lost in The FA Cup on Saturday.

Town made a bright start to proceedings as they attempted to get off to a quick start and really stamp their authority on the game. 

Chances were hard to come by in the early stages, although Alex Iacovitti did glance a header wide from a corner for the visitors. 

It took a while but the first real clear-cut of the evening went the way of the hosts with just under 30-minutes played. 

Ellis Iandolo's cross was only cleared as far as Keshi Anderson who tried his luck from close-range, but his effort was superbly kept out by the legs of Brad Collins before Matty Taylor's long-range strike was deflected behind.

Matt Preston then sent a header over the bar from Taylor's corner, before Luke Norris could only send a headed effort straight at Collins and Iacovitti sent a strike high and wide at the other end.

Anderson then sent a long-range shot straight at Collins, and that proved to be the final action of a tight and cagey first-half. 

Paul Mullin tried to ensure that his side got off to the best possible start after the break as he tried his luck from range, but his well-struck effort flashed inches past the far post.

Town were then forced into making a change with the injured Norris making way for Kaiyne Woolery. 

Lawrence Vigouroux, who had been a mere spectator for most of the evening, was forced into action to tip a Reece Brown pile-driver over the bar as Rovers enjoyed a brief spell of pressure.

The game was starting to open up slightly as Anderson duly obliged to shoot after being urged to by the home crowd, but he could only thump a shot wide.

Jordan Stevens, fresh off the bench, jumped straight into the action at the other end and sent a dipping volley over the bar, before Woolery had two chances in quick succession. 

His first one came after he was found inside the area but he could only hammer over, before his low shot was smothered by Collins moments later.

Town had also made a couple of changes by that point with James Dunne and Kellan Gordon replacing Amine Linganzi and Paul Mullin respectively.

Gordon saw his first-time effort blocked en route to goal before the opening goal of the game did arrive. 

However, it went the way of the visitors as Christian Doidge bundled home the rebound after seeing his initial effort parried by Vigouroux.

There was some late drama as both Anderson and Dale Bennett were dismissed for picking up two yellow cards, although that didn't alter the course of the game with Forest Green running out winners to send Town out of the Checkatrade Trophy.


SCORERS - Christian Doidge (80).

SWINDON TOWN (5-4-1) - Vigouroux; Knoyle, Preston, Lancashire (C), Robertson, Iandolo; Mullin (Kellan Gordon 69), Linganzi (James Dunne 65), Anderson, Taylor; Norris (Kaiyne Woolery 51). 

SUBS NOT USED - Charles-Cook, T Smith, Brophy, Goddard.

FOREST GREEN ROVERS (3-5-2) - B Collins; Monthe, Fitzwater, Iacovitti (Charlie Cooper 45); Bennett, Laird (Jordan Stevens 61), Collins (C), Brown, Wishart; James (Toni Gomes 66), Doidge.

SUBS NOT USED - Russell, Bugiel, Roberts, Simpson. 


SWINDON TOWN - Keshi Anderson.



SWINDON TOWN - Keshi Anderson. 


Referee - Rob Lewis. 

Attendance - 1,320.

Advertisement block