Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Coventry City 1-3 Town

25 February 2017

Sponsored by

Town produced a clinical and superb display to beat Coventry City 3-1 and secure a vital three points at the Ricoh this afternoon.

Both sides flexed their attacking muscles early on in the game but it was the Reds who proved to have that clinical touch in-front of goal.

Nicky Ajose touched home from Ben Gladwin’s pinpoint cross to give his side a vital lead, before Jon Obika struck minutes later to double the advantage and send the away fans into raptures.

Swindon produced a professional display after the break and added to their tally courtesy of Ajose’s second goal of the afternoon, with the only negative coming in the dying minutes after George Thomas pulled one back for the Sky Blues.

Town plumped for an unchanged Starting XI and system for what was a huge clash at the bottom of the Sky Bet League One, while Jordan Stewart was handed a place amongst the subs.

Both sides looked to go on the attack in the opening exchanges as Charlie Colkett saw his shot blocked, before Ben Gladwin got in the way of Andy Rose’s strike at the other end.

It was the hosts who claimed the first shot on target but they were unable to make it count with Marcus Tudgay scuffing his half-volley off the ground and into the hands of Lawrence Vigouroux.

Coventry then went close again as Rose tried his luck from close-range only to be denied by Vigouroux, before the Reds proceeded to threaten.

James Brophy saw his effort tipped wide by Lee Burge and Town went close from the resulting corner with Nathan Thompson hammering inches wide.

There proved to be plenty of action at both ends of the pitch in the opening exchanges with the two teams desperate to land the first blow.

George Thomas was able to ping a ball into the path of Kwame Thomas inside the Town penalty area, but the striker’s shot on the turn was well saved down low by Vigouroux.

Swindon were creating opportunities of their own and they were presented with a golden chance bang on the half-hour mark after Jon Obika was fouled on the edge of the area, but Nicky Ajose could only plant his free-kick over the bar.

However, Ajose was presented with another opportunity minutes later and he took it with aplomb, tucking home superbly from Ben Gladwin’s sublime cross into the penalty area.

And it only got better for the visitors moments later as, seconds after Ajose was thwarted by Jordan Turnbull after being played clean through by Colkett, Obika slid in to convert from the midfielder’s cross after Coventry failed to clear their lines from a corner.

Coventry started the second-half by making a change with Stuart Beavon replacing Andy Rose.

It was the home side who mustered up the first opening of the second-half but Nathan Clarke could only stab wide from a corner.

Town then had a golden opportunity to extend their lead after Ajose latched on to Gladwin’s clever flick-on, but he could only scoop a shot over the bar after rounding the keeper.

Swindon were defending really well at the back and they were limiting their hosts to few chances, with Reilly slamming wide just past the hour mark.

Gladwin attempted to play Ajose through but he was beaten to the ball by Burge, but the striker would have the last laugh just past the 70-minute mark.

Gladwin picked out Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill on the flank and the defender’s driven ball was tapped home by Ajose, who displayed a typical poacher’s instinct to arrive at the far post.

The Reds opted for two changes with time running out as Dion Conroy and John Goddard replaced Lloyd Jones and James Brophy respectively.

Conor Thomas then came on against his former side after replacing Brad Barry late on, while Coventry were able to claw a goal back courtesy of George Thomas’ finish.

However, that proved to be only a minor blot on the copybook for Town who saw out the rest of the game with ease to record a massive victory in the battle for survival.


SCORERS - Nicky Ajose (31, 70), Jon Obika (37), George Thomas (90).

COVENTRY CITY - Burge; Kelly-Evans, Clarke (C), Turnbull, Haynes; G Thomas, Foley, Rose (Stuart Beavon 45), Reilly; K Thomas (Kyel Reid 87), Tudgay (Yakubu 70).

Subs Not Used - Charles-Cook, Vernam, Jones, Rawson.

TOWN - Vigouroux; Barry (Conor Thomas 85), Thompson (C), Jones (Dion Conroy 73), Ormonde-Ottewill; Ince, Colkett; Brophy (John Goddard 76), Obika, Gladwin; Ajose.

Subs Not Used - Henry, Rodgers, Stewart, Norris.

Referee - Graham Salisbury


COVENTRY CITY - Callum Reilly.

TOWN - Charlie Colkett, Brad Barry, Conor Thomas.

ATTENDANCE - 9,543 (853 Away Fans).

Advertisement block