Dion Conroy became Town’s latest signing earlier today after putting pen to paper on a two-and-a-half-year deal and swindontownfc.co.uk have unearthed the best facts about the defender…
1995 in Redhill, Surrey.th- Dion Conroy was born December 11
- The 21-year-old is a strong and commanding centre-back who is good in the air but is also known for his ability with the ball at his feet.
- Conroy joined Chelsea at the age of 13 and quickly rose through the Academy ranks at Stamford Bridge.
- He impressed for both the U19s and the U21s and was part of the young Blues’ side who tasted glory in the FA Youth Cup.
- The defender also played a role in Chelsea’s youth team securing the U21s Premier League title.
- After producing a string of superb displays, Conroy was awarded with a new contract that tied him to Chelsea until 2018.
- With the Blues keen to see their asset hone his development and learn his craft, Conroy was loaned out to National League outfit Aldershot Town in August 2016.
- That move proved to be a great success with the centre-back catching the eye in 17 appearances for Gary Waddock’s side.
- Conroy formed a formidable partnership at the heart of the defence alongside Callum Reynolds, leaving the club in January with the Shots lying in seventh place in the National League.
- His move to Aldershot was the defender’s first loan spell away from Stamford Bridge.
- Conroy has become Town’s first permanent signing of the January Transfer Window after signing for an undisclosed fee and he will be available to feature against Bristol Rovers on Saturday.
- The centre-back will wear shirt number 25 for Town this season.