Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

CENTRAL LEAGUE REPORT: Bristol Rovers 3-2 Town

21 March 2017

Match Reports

CENTRAL LEAGUE REPORT: Bristol Rovers 3-2 Town

21 March 2017

Town’s Development Side conceded a last gasp goal in a 3-2 defeat to Bristol Rovers in the Central League earlier today.

Scott Twine’s header had given the Reds the lead in the first-half before goals either side of the break put the Gas in the driving seat.

James Brophy converted from close-range to get his side back on level-terms but James Spruce struck in the dying seconds to ensure Rovers collected the spoils.

Town named a very strong Starting XI with the likes of Conor Thomas, Lloyd Jones and Yaser Kasim all featuring.

And it was the visitors who dominated in the opening stages as Yaser Kasim and James Brophy combined to feed Ellis Iandolo inside the penalty area, but the attacker could only skew a shot wide.

Jordan Stewart was waiting to pounce after Rovers’ stopper Kieran Hodges had dropped a Kasim pass before smothering it at the second attempt, before Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill fired an effort over the bar.

It was then the home side’s turn to attack with Luke Russe dragging wide, while Twine was presented with a golden opportunity but he was unable to connect properly with a floated ball into the box.

However, Twine was on target moments later as he moved into a pocket of space before stooping low to head home the opener from Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill’s whipped cross.

Town nearly doubled their lead as Jermaine Hylton fired a shot inches over the bar, while Will Henry had to be alert to keep out a Conor Jones’ drive.

But the young stopper was powerless to prevent Rovers from hauling themselves level shortly before the interval, Lewis Ellington tucking home from close-range after being picked out perfectly by Jermaine Easter.

Hylton was just off target shortly after the restart and Henry produced a superb stop to tip Ryan Brooms’ subtle chip over the crossbar.

But Rovers nudged themselves ahead just minutes later thanks to Easter, who got in on the act himself after pouncing on a defensive error before slamming home from a matter of yards out.

Town looked to get back into the contest and created chances as Ellis Iandolo’s drive was deflected into the arms of Hodges, before Hylton flashed a shot wide.

Rovers then had a glorious chance to extend their lead but Cameron Hargreaves could only hammer wide despite being clean through on goal, and that miss came back to haunt the home side.

With time ticking away, James Brophy was in the right place at the right time to tap home a rebound after Hodges failed to hold on to a shot.

James Spruce then fired over from close-range before Ormonde-Ottewill saw his drive kept out by Hodges with both sides trying to muster up a winner.

And it was Rovers who succeeded in finding the back of the net again with Spruce latching onto a pass from Brooms before finishing with aplomb to inflict late heartbreak on Town.


Henry; Ormonde-Ottewill, Thomas (C), Jones, Brophy; Kasim, Starkey, Iandolo (Jordan Simpson 86), Stewart; Twine (Will Christopher 70), Hylton. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account