Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News

MATCH REPORT: Port Vale 0-3 Swindon Town

Reds Continue Fine Record Away From Home

28 October 2017

Fixture News

MATCH REPORT: Port Vale 0-3 Swindon Town

Reds Continue Fine Record Away From Home

28 October 2017

Swindon Town made it back-to-back wins in the Sky Bet League Two this afternoon courtesy of a superb 3-0 win away at Port Vale.

There were no goals in a tame first-half but it took just five minutes after the break for that to change, with Matty Taylor finding the back of the net with a free-kick. 

Paul Mullin was brought on with just over twenty-minutes left to play and he wasted little time in putting his mark on the game after converting from close-range. 

Kellan Gordon also stamped his mark on proceedings seconds after coming on, tapping home from a matter of yards out to put the gloss on an emphatic victory following an unselfish pass from Harry Smith.

Dave Flitcroft opted to keep faith with the same Starting XI that beat Wycombe Wanderers the week before, with Reice Charles-Cook keeping his place between the sticks and Harry Smith leading the line in a 4-2-3-1 formation for the second game running. 

There was also a place on the bench for Timi Elsnik following his return from a groin injury, which had kept him out for a flurry of games. 

After taking all of the spoils at home seven days previously, Town entered the field at Vale Park looking to add some consistency to their game.

They were doing most of the early running too but were unable to fashion a clear-cut chance with Amine Linganzi failing to connect with Matty Taylor's cutback. 

Keshi Anderson did find the back of the net from close-range after Matt Preston's header from a free-kick had come back off the post, but the offside flag was already up to cut short any celebrations. 

Town have been dangerous from set-pieces so far this season and they had an opportunity with twenty-minutes on the clock to keep up that trend, but John Goddard was unable to get his free-kick on target.

Goddard tried his luck again minutes later but he could only curl high and wide, while David Worrall couldn't keep his free-kick down at the other end. 

Charles-Cook had to keep his composure to smother a loose ball that was bouncing around in the penalty area, and that proved to be the final action of a tight and cagey first-half.

Town made the perfect start to second-half proceedings though thanks to Taylor, who hit the back of the net with a superb free-kick after Donal McDermott was fouled. 

Tom Anderson then flashed a header wide for the hosts at the other end, before the Reds opted to freshen things up with Timi Elsnik coming on to replace Goddard. 

Harry Smith was able to pounce on a defensive error before opting to shoot from distance, but his tame effort was easy enough for Dimitar Evtimov to deal with. 

Marcus Harness was next to try his luck but his 30-yard effort was easily dealt with by Charles-Cook, which led to another change with Paul Mullin replacing McDermott. 

And that proved to be a stroke of genius by Dave Flitcroft as Mullin made an instant impact, directing home a cushioned header from close-range. 

Time was running out and, with the victory all but secured, Swindon made their third and final change as Keshi Anderson made way for Kellan Gordon. 

And, for the second time in the match, the sub made an instant impact as Gordon was set up perfectly by Smith to score with his very first touch, a goal that wrapped up the three points for the Reds on a very good day at the office. 

Charles Cook was forced into action late on though as he produced a superb save to deny Jack Stobbs to preserve his clean sheet moments after Tom Pope had steered a header inches wide.


SCORERS - Matty Taylor (50), Paul Mullin (71), Kellan Gordon (85). 

PORT VALE (4-5-1) - Evitmov; Gibbons, Smith, Anderson, Gunning; Kay (Jack Stobbs 71), Pugh (C), Harness, Montano (Tyrone Barnett 57), Worrall; Pope. 

SUBS NOT USED  - Boot, Denton, Davis, Tonge, Turner. 

SWINDON TOWN (4-2-3-1) - Charles-Cook; Purkiss, Preston, Lancashire (C), Taylor; Dunne, Linganzi; McDermott (Paul Mullin 68), Anderson (Kellan Gordon 84), Goddard (Timi Elsnik 61); H Smith. 

SUBS NOT USED - Henry, Robertson, Knoyle, Woolery. 


PORT VALE - Tom Anderson.

Referee - Graham Horwood

Attendance - 5,071.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account