Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town 2-2 Yeovil Town

Reds Pegged Back Twice In West Country Derby

10 April 2018

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town 2-2 Yeovil Town

Reds Pegged Back Twice In West Country Derby

10 April 2018

Swindon Town conceded a late equaliser and were forced to settle for a point in a 2-2 draw with Yeovil Town at The Energy Check County Ground this evening.

Matty Taylor got his side off to the perfect start and the defender's fifth goal of the season was the difference at the break.

Lewis Wing restored parity after the interval with a superb strike before Taylor's second goal of the game put Town back in-front, but the lead didn't last with Omar Sowunmi rescuing a point for the Glovers.

Town made just the one change with Kellan Gordon missing out with a dislocated shoulder, which meant a home and full debut for Scott Twine. 

And the young striker nearly got off to a dream start after he rose highest to meet Matty Taylor's cross, although his header flew over the bar.

Phil Brown's side were well on top in the opening exchanges and they had a golden opportunity to take the lead inside the opening ten minutes when Marc Richards found himself one-on-one with Stuart Nelson, although the striker opted to pass rather than go for goal and the chance was gone.

However, that mattered little with the first goal of the game arriving just moments later, Taylor in the perfect place to turn home Kaiyne Woolery's pinpoint cross. 

Yeovil did compose themselves and they responded well to going a goal down with Otis Khan curling a shot into the chest of Stuart Moore. 

But Town always looked a threat every time they poured forward and they came close to doubling their advantage with 22-minutes played.

Taylor produced another superb delivery into the box and Twine was there to meet it, although the youngster could only direct his close-range effort wide.

Chances became few and far between after that, although Moore had to produce a stunning save to tip Lewis Wing's 30-yard pile-driver over the bar on the stroke of half-time. 

Yeovil made a couple of changes at the break and they made a quick start to the second-half, although they were unable to make it count with Rhys Browne slicing a shot wide.

Town then nearly punished that miss at the other end after catching their guests out with a quickly-taken free-kick, but Twine was quickly closed down by Jonny Maddison who smothered the striker's effort.

Ollie Banks had three shots blocked in quick succession as Town looked for a second goal, although the hosts were given a scare at the other end after Omar Sowunmi's header dropped inches wide of the post.

Ryan McGivern replaced Olly Lancashire just past the hour mark, with the Skipper continuing to ease himself back in following a long lay-off with injury.

As the game entered its closing stages, Town were still pressing for another goal and they nearly got it following some superb work by Woolery, although Taylor could only stab a shot wide.

And that miss would come back to haunt the Reds with Yeovil drawing level thanks to a superb strike from Wing from all of 30-yards.

But Town's sorrow soon turned into jubilation and it was all down to Taylor yet again, who restored his side's one-goal lead after lashing home from the edge of the area. 

It was soon time for another Town change with Paul Mullin replacing Kaiyne Woolery upfront as the Reds looked to close the game out.

Timi Elsnik then replaced the very impressive Scott Twine who left the field to a standing ovation, but Town's hopes of seeing the game out were dashed as Alex Fisher equalised late on.

Elsnik came close to snatching a late, late winner but his thunderous effort flew inches over the bar, and a pulsating contest ended all-square. 


SCORERS - Matty Taylor (11, 72), Lewis Wing (68), Alex Fisher (89). 

SWINDON TOWN (4-4-2) - Moore; Knoyle, Purkiss, Lancashire (C) (Ryan McGivern 62), Hussey; Twine (Timi Elsnik 86), Dunne, Banks, Taylor; Woolery (Paul Mullin 79), Richards.

SUBS NOT USED - Henry, McDermott, Linganzi, Anderson.

YEOVIL TOWN (4-3-3) - Nelson (C) (Jonny Maddison 45); Mugabi, Sowunmi, Donnellan, James; Santos (Jordan Green 45), Wing, Gobern; Khan, Fisher, Browne (Marcus Barnes 73).

SUBS NOT USED - Bird, Smith, Seager, Whelan.


SWINDON TOWN - Ollie Banks.

YEOVIL TOWN - Omar Sowunmi, Oscar Gobern.

REFEREE - Trevor Kettle.

ATTENDANCE - 5,709. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account