Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town - Forest Green Rovers

Swindon fall 1-0 to Forest Green.

14 August 2018

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town - Forest Green Rovers

Swindon fall 1-0 to Forest Green.

14 August 2018

Despite dominating the game, the Robins were beaten and knocked out of the EFL Cup by Forest Green Rovers.

Town were left frustrated by a Tahvon Campbell goal just before the hour mark.

Town made three changes from the side that lost at Sincil Bank. Joe Romanski, Sid Nelson and Toumani Diagouraga came into the side with Stephen Alzate, Jermaine McGlashan and Dion Conroy dropping to the bench.

The Reds were straight out of the blocks establishing themselves high up the pitch within 30 seconds.

This pattern continued throughout the half with Phil Brown’s charges creating chance after chance.

It took only two minutes for the first effort to come – Joe Romanski stepped out well in the defence, played to Elijah Adebayo on the left-hand side. He squared to Michael Doughty whose shot flashed just past the post.

A minute later and Adebayo was in the middle of the action – this time holding off his man before seeing his effort roll past James Montgomery’s post.

And it was Montgomery who, on the FGR side, would see most action in the first half. Adebayo charged him down with hard work almost paying off as he blocked the goalkeeper’s clearance. Out for a goal kick, though.

13 minutes gone and it was close again. Montgomery shanked a clearance – stranded outside his box, the ball fell to the ever-energetic Martin Smith who, from his own half, floated a fantastic effort towards goal. Inside of the post this time, and out.

Matt Taylor was next - a free-kick parried away before Doughty was close to the rebound.

Keshi was next. Anderson rose highest to head Taylor’s cross towards goal but Montgomery was equal to it once again.

Somehow, it was still 0-0 at the break.

Town restarted the fresher too. Matt Taylor had a cheeky effort to embarrass Montgomery parried by the keeper – after he shaped to swing his free-kick into the mixer but whipped a shot at the last minute.

The game evened as the half grew on with chances becoming harder to come by – Adebayo made an effort for himself but it was saved again.

Then the sucker punch – with effectively their first foray forward FGR scored. Tahvon Campbell placed an effort past the outstretched Vigouroux.

Doughty almost got the boys straight back level – clever footwork bamboozled his man but his shot was blocked by Lee Collins.

After that, Town were frustrated by a team set up to keep a clean sheet and couldn’t break them down.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account