Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


The Robins earnt a 1-1 draw at the New Lawn Stadium.

25 August 2018

Sponsored by

Town had to fight on the road once again to earn a point away at Forest Green Rovers.

After Christian Doidge opened the scoring early on, Michael Doughty equalised from the spot ten minutes in.

The boys had to work hard defensively to ensure that they didn’t leave the New Lawn empty handed.

It was another fast start to the game and not in a good way for Town – Rovers crafted a chance down the right-hand side. Olly Lancashire blocked the first attempt but the ball fell to Doidge who lashed home the rebound. Three minutes in.  

The boys worked their way into the affair as they hadn’t been allowed to get started before the goal – but on ten minutes, after working it wide, Keshi Anderson sprinted to nick the ball. He got to it just before, Green goalkeeper, Robert Sanchez and was felled by the man in the sticks.

Initially, referee Andy Davies was unmoved but his linesman on that side waved his flag and Davies eventually pointed to the spot.

Michael Doughty stepped up and slotted it easily into the bottom left-hand corner with Sanchez diving the wrong way. Level.

It was an even affair but the boys started the second half the brighter of the two teams, moving the ball well – the FGR defence had to work hard to stop a rejuvenated Swindon side. Marc Richards forced Paul Digby to play square to his goalkeeper with Keshi Anderson lurking - Sanchez managed to hoof the ball clear with the number 10 almost pouncing on it.

The Green started to work their way forward well and the Robins back line had to be alert – Sid Nelson made a vital interception to head away Rueben Reid’s shot which looked on its way in.

As the hour passed it became clear that it was going to be hard work for the visitors - Vigouroux had to be alert to stop Winchester from putting the Nailsworth side in front.

FGR were pressing but the Town backline was holding firm, not allowing any real chances of note for the probing home side – it was only on 85 minutes that the game opened up at all, as tired legs began to take their toll.

Lloyd James whipped a free-kick goalwards but Martin Smith managed to head clear. Second-half substitute Ellis Iandolo went foraging forward on the break and his trickery got him clear down the left, but he chose to cut the ball back when, maybe, the option square would have been more fruitful.

It felt like one clear-cut chance would have won you this game and Keshi Anderson was almost the man that got it. Doughty played square to McCourt who had Keshi in space on the right. He found the winger well but Anderson couldn’t quite replicate his goal against Crawley – this time drilling the wrong side of the near post.

Back to the other end and it took Olly Lancashire’s monster block, quickly followed by Sid Nelson’s last-ditch tackle denying Christian Doidge, to make sure the boys travelled back down the A419 with a point.

Advertisement block