Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Lincoln City 2-2 Swindon Town

Reds Suffer Late Heartbreak

3 February 2018

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Lincoln City 2-2 Swindon Town

Reds Suffer Late Heartbreak

3 February 2018

Swindon Town were forced to settle for a point in a 2-2 draw against Lincoln City at Sincil Bank this afternoon.

Despite starting well, the Reds found themselves a goal and a man down with Lee Frecklington spot on with his penalty after Matt Preston committed a professional foul on Matt Green.

Swindon have shown character in abundance so far this season, however, and it was evident once again with strikes from Marc Richards and Ollie Banks giving the ten-men a slender half-time lead.

Lincoln were on top for the majority of the second-half though and they snatched a point at the death following a goalmouth scramble.

Town Boss Dave Flitcroft opted to name an unchanged Starting XI from the side that beat Stevenage in midweek, while Deadline Day signing Rollin Menayese was handed a place on the bench.

The Reds entered this contest looking to make it three wins on the bounce, but they were facing an Imps side also in good form and full of confidence.

And it was a fairly bright start by the visitors as Luke Norris ran into space and saw his drive blocked, before Marc Richards was crowded out by a host of defenders.

Keshi Anderson then curled a shot past the post following a good spell of pressure, before Norris saw his effort deflected inches wide by James Wilson.

It was all one-way traffic in the opening exchanges and Town were able to carve out another decent opportunity with Matty Taylor sending a 25-yard free-kick just past the post.

But Town were dealt with an almighty sucker-punch with twenty-two minutes played as Matt Preston was shown a straight red card for hauling down Matt Green inside the area, with Lee Frecklington converting from the penalty spot despite the best efforts of Reice Charles-Cook who got plenty on the shot.

Going a man down forced Town to change things up and it was Luke Norris who made way with Rollin Menayese coming on to make his debut following his Deadline Day arrival from Bristol Rovers.

It was going to be an uphill battle for Swindon but they were showing plenty of fight and spirit with Richards flicking a volley just over the bar.

However, with a man advantage Lincoln were always going to be dangerous on the break and so it proved as Harry Anderson lashed wide from 25-yards, before Green scuffed a shot wide.

But Town were galvanised by being a man down and they completely turned the game on its head within a couple of minutes.

Timi Elsnik's shot was only parried by Paul Farman and Richards was there to tuck home his third goal in Town colours.

And it only got better a minute later as Town, full of confidence following their leveller, poured forward again with Ollie Banks this time thumping home a superb strike.

Danny Rowe had a long-range pile-driver saved by Charles-Cook and that proved to be the final action of an action packed first-half.

Lincoln were piling the pressure on from the off after the break but Town were doing a good job of holding firm and dealing with everything that was thrown at them.

The visitors then introduced a pair of fresh legs with Paul Mullin replacing Kellan Gordon in a bid to stem the tide.

Lincoln were still on top though as Michael Bostwick flashed an effort wide, before the Town defence had to stand firm again to clear their lines from a glut of crosses into the box.

There wasn't as many clear-cut chances in the second-half and Town were doing a superb job of frustrating their hosts.

But it was Town who nearly added to their lead as Elsnik cut in before sending a shot against the bar.

And that miss would prove costly with Michael Bostwick bundling home a last-minute equaliser to rescue a point for the hosts.


SCORERS - Lee Frecklington (22), Marc Richards (35), Ollie Banks (37), Michael Bostwick (90).

LINCOLN CITY (4-3-3) - Farman; Eardley, Waterfall (C) (Ollie Palmer 88), Wilson, Habergham; Bostwick, Frecklington, Woodyard (Matt Rhead 45); Rowe, Green, Anderson (Tom Pett 60).

SUBS - Allsop, Long, Wharton, Williams.

SWINDON TOWN (3-5-2) - Charles-Cook; Purkiss, Lancashire (C), Preston; Gordon (Paul Mullin 57), Banks, Elsnik, Anderson (Chris Robertson 88),Taylor; Norris (Rollin Menayese 24), Richards.

SUBS - Moore, Iandolo, Dunne, Woolery.


LINCOLN CITY - Alex Woodyard.

SWINDON TOWN - Matty Taylor, Olly Lancashire.

SENT-OFF - Matt Preston.

Referee - Antony Goggins.

Attendance - 8,909 (555 Away Fans).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account