Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

CENTRAL LEAGUE REPORT: Swindon Town 2-2 Cheltenham Town

Reds Pegged Back

9 January 2018

Club News

CENTRAL LEAGUE REPORT: Swindon Town 2-2 Cheltenham Town

Reds Pegged Back

9 January 2018

Swindon Town were held to a 2-2 draw by Cheltenham Town in the Central League this afternoon.

U18's Manager Alan McLoughlin took charge of the fixture and opted to field a strong side with first-teamers in the ilk of Ben Purkiss, Matty Taylor, John Goddard and Paul Mullin all getting a run-out. 

Youngsters Will Henry, Joe Romanski, Ollie Rejek and Scott Twine were also given a chance to impress with First-Team Manager Dave Flitcroft in attendance.

It was Cheltenham though who got off to the better start as a trialist rattled the post early on, with the Reds camped inside their own half for much of the opening exchanges.

However, the opening goal of the game went the way of the hosts with just thirteen minutes played as Johnny Goddard picked out Paul Mullin perfectly inside the area, and the striker was able to finish with ease.

Scott Twine then curled an effort wide following a good passage of play with chances proving hard to come by at both ends of the pitch. 

Town were beginning to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and they created another opportunity to extend their lead. 

Goddard slipped in Ollie Rejek down the right flank and the Second-Year Scholar was able to produce a superb cross for Twine, although the forward was unable to get his effort on target.

Kellan Gordon was the next to try his luck but his drive from distance flew wide of the post, before Mullin saw his free-kick smothered by Lovett in the Cheltenham goal.

Town opted to make an alteration at the break with Jacob Bancroft replacing Matty Taylor, and it didn't take them long to double their advantage.

Goddard was at the heart of things once again and he was able to play in Rejek who showed great composure to finish his chance.

It was soon a one goal game though with Ryan New thumping home a header from a corner to give the visitors a glimmer of hope.

Town were soon back on top though and they carved out another opening with Goddard flashing a free-kick inches wide of the post.

Twine was continuing to cause trouble for the Cheltenham defence and he went close to getting on the scoresheet after turning his man, but his volley was parried to safety. 

Will Henry then had to be called upon at the other end to produce a brilliant save and keep his side's lead in-tact.

The game was beginning to open up in the closing stages with Bancroft scooping an effort over the bar, a miss that came back to haunt Town moments later as George Lloyd got Cheltenham back on level-terms.

And that proved to be the final action of the game with both sides having to settle for a share of the spoils.

SCORERS - Paul Mullin (13), Ollie Rejek (47), Ryan New (56), George Lloyd (84). 


SWINDON TOWN (3-5-2) - Henry; Romanski, Giamattei, Purkiss (Sol Pryce 68); Rejek, Taylor (C) (Jacob Bancroft 45), Goddard, Gordon (Ralph Graham 60), Brophy; Twine, Mullin.

SUBS NOT USED - Matthews.

CHELTENHAM TOWN - Lovett, Handley, New, Bower, Trialist, Lloyd, Llewelyn, Thomas, Dawes, Trialist, Graham. 

SUBS - Clayton, Briscoe, Hailwood, Wright, Hunt. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account