Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town 1-0 Forest Green Rovers

Reds Make It Back-To-Back Home Wins

13 January 2018

Sponsored by

Swindon Town produced another gutsy display to beat Forest Green Rovers 1-0 at The Energy Check County Ground this afternoon.

There was nothing to separate the two teams following a cagey first-half, although Keshi Anderson did go close for the hosts on two occasions.

Luke Norris was able to pop up with the winner after the interval though to make it back-to-back home wins and three victories on the trot for his side. 

Town Boss Dave Flitcroft made just one change to the team that beat Barnet on New Years Day with new signing Ollie Banks replacing Amine Linganzi in midfield a day after arriving on loan from Oldham Athletic.

Donal McDermott also missed out having picked up a groin strain in the week, while Luke Norris and Kaiyne Woolery were the men chosen to lead the line in a 3-5-2 formation.

Town went into the game looking to make it three wins on the bounce and go about making SN1 a real fortress. 

They were able to enjoy a bright start too with much of the opening exchanges played in the visitors' half of the pitch. 

A poor corner allowed Kaiyne Woolery the chance to lead a counter-attack and he was able to set Keshi Anderson clear, but the attacker's cross was an easy one for Brad Collins to snuff out.

Luke Norris then saw his drive from range deflected behind for a corner, before Olly Lancashire had to throw himself in the way of a Reuben Reid shot at the other end of the pitch.

Forest Green had their moments too though as they looked to make a bright start to proceedings, although Christian Doidge wasn't able to get a clean connection on Dayle Grubb's cross and his header drifted wide.

The best chance of the game went Town's way however with just under twenty-minutes played as Woolery beat his man with sheer pace before cutting the ball back into the path of Anderson, but the striker's shot was somehow kept out courtesy of a superb save from Collins.

There was then a break in play with Rovers' Farrend Rawson needing medical treatment, and he was eventually forced off with Scott Laird his replacement. 

Swindon were doing most of the attacking but their final ball was just letting them down with clear-cut chances proving to be rare. 

However, they were able to finish the first-half well on top and they were unlucky not to take a lead in at the break.

Ollie Banks, who had enjoyed a solid first 45-minutes in a Town shirt, saw his drive deflected behind before Anderson forced another brilliant stop from Collins after being teed up by Norris. 

It took a few minutes for the first real action of the second-half to take place and it involved Forest Green as Doidge brought a Lee Collins cross down on his chest, before firing a shot towards goal which Reice Charles-Cook was able to smother.

There was little between the two sides and goalmouth action was proving hard to come by at either end. 

Town were trying their best to make the breakthrough though and they had a couple of chances in quick succession. 

The first opportunity came following good work from Norris who was able to hold off a challenge and feed Woolery, but his drive fizzed just past the post.

And Woolery had a second bite of the cherry just moments later after running into some space but, as per his first effort, he was only able to blast wide.

Anderson was the next player to try and make something happen but his shot cannoned off a defender and comfortably looped into the arms of Collins. 

With the game reaching its latter stages, Town decided to freshen things up by making a double change with Paul Mullin and Kellan Gordon replacing Kaiyne Woolery and Kyle Knoyle respectively.

And those changes looked to have done the trick as The Reds finally made the breakthrough just moments later.

Anderson was allowed to get a shot away and it was parried only as far as Norris, who was eventually able to stab home the opener following a bit of a goalmouth scramble.

In order to protect their lead, Town made another change as Ben Purkiss came on with Anderson making way. 

And it worked as The Reds were able to dig in and see out the rest of the game with ease to record a big three points.


SCORERS - Luke Norris (78).

SWINDON TOWN (3-5-2) - Charles-Cook; Preston, Lancashire (C), Robertson; Knoyle (Kellan Gordon 76), Dunne, Banks, Anderson (Ben Purkiss 82), Iandolo; Woolery (Paul Mullin 76), Norris.

SUBS NOT USED - Henry, Taylor, Brophy, Goddard.

FOREST GREEN ROVERS (3-5-2) - Collins; Gunning, Hollis, Rawson (Scott Laird 27); Wishart (Alex Whittle 88), Collins (C), Osbourne, Grubb (Keanue Marsh-Browne 74), Monthe; Reid, Doidge. 

SUBS NOT USED - Brown, Simpson, Pickering, Spurrier. 


SWINDON TOWN - James Dunne, Keshi Anderson, Paul Mullin.

FOREST GREEN ROVERS - Dayle Grubb, Daniel Wishart, Reuben Reid, Gavin Gunning.

Referee - Dean Whitestone.

Attendance - 7,062.

Advertisement block