Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


10 November 2018

Sponsored by

Swindon Town put themselves in the hat for the second-round draw of the FA Cup after beating York City 2-1.

Scott Twine scored his first ever professional goal for Swindon Town with a clever backheel as Swindon beat managed to break down a stubborn York City side.

The non-league Mistermen proved to be no push overs as the away side put in an excellent second half performance.

However, the spirit of the visitors wasn’t enough to force a replay at Bootham Crescent.

Man of the Match, James Dunne drove the team forward and it was his brilliant pass that allowed McGlashan to cut back to Alzate who fired home the winner.

First Half

Swindon showed their dominance throughout the first half, passing the ball round nicely and stretching the York city side.

It took until the 12th minute mark for Swindon to open the scoring. Jermaine McGlashan played a clever one-two with Elijah Adebayo, McGlashan cut the ball back across the face of the goal to Scott Twine who scored with a classy backheel finish.

Twine’s goal gave him a confidence boost, and minutes later his clever feet worked him some space to get a shot away from outside the box. He forced a good save from Adam Bartlett.

Only a minute later, Twine hit the post with an acrobatic effort after Keshi Anderson’s shot was blocked.

York City came close when Jordan Burrow latched onto a volley from a corner, his shot went wide but it was a reminder that the non-league club wouldn’t roll over.

But just as the half time whistle was approaching, York City linked up well down the right-hand side. Nathan Dyer crossed the ball to David Ferguson who towered over McGlashan. Vigouroux saved Ferguson’s initial effort but the rebound feel to Ferguson again who scored on his second attempt.

Second Half

York City came out for the second half all fired up as they piled the pressure on the Robins.

The away team’s spirit was at a high early on and they nearly took the lead when Nathan Dyer’s header went wide.

Dunne’s presence grew, however, as he started to command the midfield. He latched onto a loose pass and drove into York’s box, he played the ball to Adebayo.

Adebayo kept his shot low, but Bartlett pushed it wide for a corner. The attack knocked York’s momentum and Swindon grew in confidence again. 

Swindon began creating chance after chance, but it was man of the match James Dunne’s pass that split the Minstermen’s defence to McGlashan. His cut back found Steven Alzate who finished from close range.

That was enough to seal victory and put the Town through to the second round of the cup for the season season in a row.

Advertisement block