Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


13 October 2018

Match Reports


13 October 2018

Swindon were beaten 2-0 by Exeter at St. James’ Park as they extended their unbeaten run to nine games.

Jonathan Forte opened the scoring for the hosts with a poacher’s finish before Jayden Stockley headed in from close range in the second half.

Town were limited by a strong Exeter defence after they made five changes to the side that drew to Northampton last weekend.

First Half

Exeter started the brighter of the two sides – Lee Holmes was sprightly down the right-hand side and caused problems early on as the home team dominated early possession.

Jayden Stockley had the first chance of the half – Holmes clipped to the back post and Stockley rose high but nodded his header down and wide of the upright.

Keshi Anderson, who was the brightest light in the first half for Swindon, had the first effort for the visitors. He shot from distance but Christy Pym gathered in the Grecians goal after 9 minutes.

Five minutes later, and Exeter were deservedly in the lead – Jonathan Forte poked home his sixth since arriving at St. James’ Park after a long ball evaded the Town defence.

Town reacted well, keeping the ball and they were nearly level in the 22nd minute – Matt Taylor fizzed a cross the face of the six-yard box but Marc Richards couldn’t flick the ball in.

Richards was almost on the scoresheet again – Toumani Diagouraga slipped the striker in but his shot was blocked by the outstretched boot of Pym.

Exeter were strong from then on – Taylor looked to dip a free-kick up and over the wall; however, he couldn’t quite get it down quick enough to trouble Pym.

Second Half

Town came out in the second half and used the ball well as they had done in the latter stages of the first – Knoyle worked the ball into to Twine who tried to direct a header in but failed to get enough power as he jumped away from goal.

Martin Smith teed up Knoyle but his effort struck the outside of the post as it looped off his right boot.

On 57 minutes, Town had a warning for what was to come – Holmes clipped to the back post and Stockley headed wide.

Five minutes later, Stockley doubled the hosts’ lead with a diving header.

The introductions of Adebayo, Alzate and Woolery pushed Town forward but their attacks were blunted by a strong Grecians unit who were in a determined mood.

Town were limited to half chances and, in fact, despite their dominance of possession, Exeter still had the best chance of the final stages – Nicky Law drove into the Town 18-yard-box and forced Luke McCormick into a fine save.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account