Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


6 April 2019

Match Reports


6 April 2019

Swindon were dealt a late blow by Yeovil who scored a last gasp equaliser to steal a 1-1 draw at the County Ground.

Adel Gafaiti prodded in in injury time to cancel out Keshi Anderson’s first-half header after a proverbial game of two halves at SN1.

Michael Doughty made his return after missing six games following a training injury.

First Half

It was quite clear from the start what the pattern of play in the first half would be – Swindon moved the ball well but met a wall of green as they ventured into the final third.

Town’s best early chance came on 15 minutes – Theo Robinson beat Nathan Baxter in the Glovers’ goal but not the man on the line. As Yeovil half-cleared the ball, it was cannoned into the midriff of Gary Warren with claims of handball turned down.

On 20 minutes, a cleverly-worked corner into Dion Conroy’s feet was flicked to Danny Rose whose shot was stopped in its tracks by a combination of keeper’s hands and defenders’ feet.

It looked like Town would be forced to go into half-time with deadlock still in place but with two minutes of the half to play, they were ahead.

The ball broke loose from a Kyle Knoyle cross – Canice Carroll won it back and found Dion Conroy. After controlling the ball in the D, he flicked to defensive partner, Luke Woolfenden whose shot was saved but Keshi Anderson was on-hand to head in.

Second Half

Town continued their quest for goals early in the second half – Woolery, with three goals in two games behind him, looked to drill past Baxter at the near post but found the side-netting. Shortly after, Theo Robinson rounded the Glovers goalkeeper but Andy Warren cleared off the line.

Just past the hour mark, Swindon were still in the ascendency and Anderson almost had his second – he dipped a free-kick onto the roof of the net that had Baxter worried.

Three minutes later, Luke McCormick was called into action for the first time; however, his save from Matt Worthington signalled a chance in the tide of the game.

Next up to worry Wellens’ side was a disallowed goal – from a set-piece the ball was bundled home in a cluster of bodies but the linesman’s flag delayed the equaliser.

McComick was called into action once again with 12 minutes to play – he stuck out an incredibly strong hand to divert Alex Fisher’s strike past the post as Swindon looked like they might hold on.

As the fourth official’s board went up, heartbreak. Adel Gafaiti poked home at the back post to force Town to settle for a point. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account