Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


5 January 2019

Jak McCourt grabbed three points at the death for Swindon as they came from behind to beat Macclesfield.

Tyrone Marsh had put the Silkmen in front on 13 minutes but Marc Richards levelled the scoring with a header from McCourt’s free-kick just after the half-hour mark.

As the second half continued, the game looked destined to end in parity but the midfielder popped up at the exact right place and right time to finish with aplomb and send the away fans into delirium.   

First Half

The first chance of the game fell to the visitors – Kaiyne Woolery tricked his man and sprung into the box. His shot was blocked on the six-yard box before falling to Kyle Knoyle – he spun passed one with a roulette turn and hit a shot that clipped the crossbar on its way over.

Town’s early promise was extinguished on 13 minutes – Michael Rose whipped in a free-kick, over the Town defence, and Tyrone Marsh volleyed past Lawrence Vigouroux putting Sol Campbell’s side ahead.

As has been the case away from home, Town were always a threat on the break with Vigouroux’s distribution and pace in behind a formula that is constantly dangerous. It was that combination that almost got Town level on 24 minutes – Keshi received the ball from the goalkeeper, and played an inch-perfect pass over his shoulder to Woolery who chopped inside on his arrival into the box but his shot was tipped over the bar by Kieran O’Hara in the Macc goal.

This was the catalyst for a period of good pressure for Swindon – Ellis Iandolo crossed from deep but Richards was put off by the presence of Natham Cameron as he tried to get his head to the ball just before the hour mark. He didn’t have to wait long for his goal though.

Four minutes later, Richards and Swindon got their goal – Jak McCourt stepped up to take a free-kick from out wide, whipped in and the seasoned striker was slap-bang in the centre of the goal to head past O’Hara.

The Robins continued their presence up the pitch – Canice Carroll almost got his career in Swindon red off to a flyer as he wound up a shot from 30 yards that whistled past the post.

Second Half

Kyle Knoyle was forced off early in the second half with james Dunne replacing him, and his presence vitalised Town – he found Richards on 53 minutes and after his pass played Keshi Anderson in behind, O’Hara had to palm away from the forward’s strike.

The closest either side came in normal time during the second half was Kaiyne Woolery’s ferocious half-volley after Keshi’s lay-off teed him up perfectly.

Town had improved over the latter 45 and their perseverance, if nothing else, was rewarded with hardly any time left – Canice Carroll curled a ball down the line, Jermaine McGlashan chased it and crossed to the back post.

He found fellow substitute Ben House, on his debut, and the striker showed calmness beyond his years to set McCourt rather than go for goal himself, and the midfielder rolled the ball with his instep into the back of the net.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account